Sourcing Robot Parts - Alternate Resources

DakLak

Today's generation of children aren't satisfied with static toys that do nothing - action or reality are key words. These are a good sources of various robotic functions.

Cameras
Need a camera for a robot project? No sweat! I can buy a couple of camera modules for $2-3 - in a discarded cell phone (often from charity shops). Go for early models and avoid Apple products, easier to recover and more likely to be a standard mass produced product.

A camera worth looking at is the: Minicam 300K 1:2.5 / TDC32

Specs (Retail):
Camera size: 2.1875"x2.6875"x0.5"
Ulead Software Included: Photo Album, Editing, Printing, Sharing&Web studio. +Neckstrap+USB Cable

Dual Function Digital Camera:
Digital Still Camera function: Image Capture
PC Camera function: Video Capturing/Conferencing
AVI function: Movie clips
Sensor: CMOS Sensor
Resolution: 300K Pixels(VGA 640x480)
Memory: 64Mbit SDRAM

USD$7 on E-Bay.

Another bargain is the: Mini-Digital-Cam-TDC-32.jpg (2.74 KiB)

Cell / handset cameras can be used complete with their cases and the ribbon cables emerge out through SD memory connector slots.

In fact, using a recovered camera has advantages - it comes complete with a bezel and a nice, but oversize, case. Some even have focusing devices.

The more modern cell handsets conveniently have two cameras - two for the price of one, with different focal lengths.

Did you know there is a Barbie Doll with a camera in it - even has a SD chip memory?

Ad don't forget X10 Home Management systems - they, too, have cameras although the designs are somewhat ancient.

Word of caution. Most cell cameras have an IR filter lens - your applications might require they be removed.

Sensors
Toys also are a source for sensors - all worth investigation. I have seen IR, heat, light sensors.

Tires (Tyres)
Tires (tyres) are often a difficult / expensive item but many model toys have interesting designs worth investigation. I recently spied some very advanced tires on a Vector toy car. Removing the wheels, I covered them with dipping rubber, to add grip, and now they are on a robot car doing great corners and yet remaining on the track.

These are all good for prototyping or proof of concept purposes.

Remote Control
Toys frequently have various forms of remote control ranging from a couple of channels to some that occupy all 13 WiFi channels!

Although limited in range from a few feet to a few tens of feet, the addition of one or two transistors can quickly, and economically, extend ranges, substantially.

Remote Video
From reading the news, there seems to be some excitement about flying cameras. People who envision mini-news helicopters flying around can relax, for the moment.

I have recently completed proof of design prototypes of robots with no wheels! One is a ball of around 4-5 inches in diameter whilst the other two, of the same project, are a rugby-ball shaped device whilst the other is a football (round) shaped device. All were required to have still cameras (at least) and video if possible.

The latter two are designed for use in water.

Getting the Blueberry operational control was not a challenge, streaming B & W video still has challenges. The 'still' cameras are not a problem (think Barbie Doll). And forget colour streaming TV - few mini transmitters have the bandwidth required.

Conclusion
Think outside the box, there are so many economic sources of robot parts and whilst you might not find sets of Mecanum-roller wheels, even scrap yards are a rich source of goodies.

Jamster

Hmmm an interesting writeup :)

I get a lot of parts from old broken toys that I take apart but they're often limited to a few LEDs and some switches soldered to a PCB :( Occasionally you get better things but really rarely...

I know many people on the forum (me included) sleal parts from old CD drives, particulally for macro photography as the mehcanism inside is farly sturdy and has most of the parts insalled already! There used to be a time when you could desolder components from the boards and use them in your own project, or even use the whole board in your project, but SMD pickand place machines and 4/6 layer boards seem to have made that impossible. :(

Still, the low tech chinese gadgets seem to still be dismantalable :D

Jamster

boriz

Car booters are sometimes desperate to get rid of stuff and will practically give away some things rather than cart them home. I saw a guy selling all sorts of interesting bits and bobs 'everything 50p'. Including working VHS recorders.