Solid State Ananlogue Displays

cpedw

Not explicitly a Picaxe question, though if it runs off 5 volts then a picaxe wil be involved eventually ...
Can anyone suggest a display that looks like a needle on a moving coil meter but has no moving parts? I expect it will be an LCD or LED device I think. I realise that an LED bargaph is nearly what I'm looking for but if it could display circularly instead of linearly, that would be perfect.
If it costs less than £10 I'm particularly interested.
Thanks,
Derek

cpedw

That's approximately what I want but ideally - larger range of angles (240 degrees?); higher resolution (that has 9 steps; about 20 would be good); and of course cheaper!
Thanks,
Derek

BeanieBots

If you can get access to one of those laser cutters then it would be quite simple to make your own display panel.
Those bargraph chips can be cascaded to give up to about 40 segments.

Dippy

Aha. Good luck :)

I have seen bigger displays with more steps, but under a tenner?? Sorry.
Might be time to look at GLCDs... nothing on that bay place?

womai

You should be able to get a decent 128x64 pixel GLCD display for about $15 is you look around a little bit. Of course you'll need to write a good amount of driver code for it.

I'm actually looking into those displays for a very different Picaxe project (no, not a handheld oscilloscope :) and a "side benefit" should be a driver chip for such a display; it's actually quite simple since I use a compiler that comes with libraries for such displays. I could probably hack together a simple driver chip + firmware (for Samsung KS0107/KS0108 compatible GLCDs) in less than a day, based on a Microchip 16F886 or similar (same as the Picaxe 28X1). It would let you draw pixels, lines, squares, circles, and write text, you'd control it through a serial (RS-232) connection.

Wolfgang

Last edited:

kevrus

I could probably hack together a simple driver chip + firmware (for Samsung KS0107/KS0108 compatible GLCDs) in less than a day, based on a Microchip 16F886 or similar
I'm impressed...now something similiar to drive a T6963c GLCD with a resolution of 240x128 at the right price would be amazing as most products that I can find are a little costly

cpedw

cpedw

Just curious ... what is it about a real analogue meter that you don't like?
Perhaps a bit finicky but it's the reliability - the application I have in mind is on a sailing boat that can bounce about a lot at times. (Waterproofing is another issue altogether.)
Derek

BeanieBots

Like everything, relaibility comes with cost, or more to the point, those cheap things from eBay are NOT reliable.
Analogue displays are good enough for cars and aircraft, I'm sure a decent one would be reliable in a boat. (water proofing would be the same issue for any technology).

womai

I'm impressed...now something similiar to drive a T6963c GLCD with a resolution of 240x128 at the right price would be amazing as most products that I can find are a little costly
Not much to be impressed about; as I said, my compiler comes with library functions for this GLCD controller, so my work would basically consist of reading commands and parameters from the serial port and calling the appropriate function. Now ... any other controller or display would be a lot of work because I'd have to write all the low-level access code and high-level drawing function myself.

Wolfgang

papaof2

Thebay has lots of marine gauges - volt, rpm, fuel, etc. MerCruiser is one name that I recognize as being designed for marine use.

Search for
marine gauge

John

gengis

National's LM3914 is easy to apply and can be daisy chained to increase the number of LEDs
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM3914.html

I built a tachometer for my motorcycle using two stages (20 LEDs) with an auto-ranging circuit that gave me 4 X 20 leds of resolution.

I drilled holes in a 1/8" black anodized aluminum plate then epoxied the leds in from the back. For waterproofing the whole is mounted in a piece of 4" pvc pipe. I cut a ring of pvc and slotted it and fit that down into another piece. The ring forms a mounting lip for the LED board and window and is fastened in with silicone. It is 100% water proof. I did encounter condensation on the inside when the weather turned cold, so I broke the seal then put the whole display into a can with desiccant overnight - quickly assembled it the next day and its been working, and condensate free, for 10 years now.

Dippy

GLIC can put 2 pointers on a GLCD simultaneously. But that's over a tenner.

I could write you a T6963 driver for a 240x128 GLCD if you want me to, but that will cost a helluva lot more than a tenner. I've never seen that size display for under a tenner - and I'm not interested in a link to Ebay or Alibaba.

Keep Googling.

Alternatives?
Make your own out of LEDs (see you in 6 weeks ;) )
Give up and think of something else.

Remember, if there isn't a big market then it ain't going to be cheap.

boriz

Make your own ‘analogue’ meter with a servo. Dead simple. Dead cheap. Dead robust.

You can drive two servos with one 08M using two ADC inputs.

Cheap servo’s HERE and HERE

Dippy

Umm... first post:-
"Can anyone suggest a display that looks like a needle on a moving coil meter but has no moving parts?"

I think the clue is in the question boriz... :)

cpedw

Remember, if there isn't a big market then it ain't going to be cheap.
That's the bit that surprises me. I would have thought there was a substantial enough market to make it worth someone's while. But I suppose it's thinking like that (wrong) is why I haven't made a fortune!
Derek

Dippy

Well, I don't know, I was just suggesting a possibility.

Who would want one?
Most fancy devices use GLCD or TFT or OLED and so thats 95% of the market.
Others use LED bargraphs and similar, so that's 4.9%.
Others (quaint types with beards, retro fanatics or cheapskates) use analogue mechanical.

So that only leaves you :)

I have seen combined analogue LCD and digital LCD displays but they are a lot more than a tenner.
The trouble is that we are spoilt by cheap electronic devices and therefore assume that everything is (or should be) cheap, regardless of numbers made and regardless of quality etc.

I think that unless you are:-
1) Lucky
2) Prepared to flash the cash
3) Spend 3 years looking

.. then you will have to resort to Plan B

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
While linear not circular, a standard text LCD can display a single line bar on any character pixel position and you can also generate bar graphs. The gaps between characters aren't normally problematic and you can use every other pixel position for more consistency if it is.

papaof2

While linear not circular, a standard text LCD can display a single line bar on any character pixel position and you can also generate bar graphs. The gaps between characters aren't normally problematic and you can use every other pixel position for more consistency if it is.
And a multi-line LCD can have a data caption on one line (PSI 20 30 40, etc) and the bargraph on the next line.

Code:
10 20 30 40 50 PSI
######
John

Jeremy Leach

If a rough level indicator is required, I even think a single LED could be used with a flash duty representing the percentage level. Flash at 1Hz and duty 0 to 100%. I think it 'might' be easy to guess the level to at least the nearest 25% - not tried it though ! Just an idea. A bit quirky too :)

Dippy

Blimey! Deffo a bit quirky....;)

So, when it induces epilepsy that means 90% Full scale? Sounds good to me.
Whatever will they think of next?

I guess you could get an LCD, warm it up and bend it into a semi-circle.

boriz

@Dippy.

"...it's the reliability - the application I have in mind is on a sailing boat that can bounce about a lot at times..."

Servo ticks the boxes. You could drop it on the floor and the 'needle' wouldn't move. Two servo's, an 08M, some glue. Two gauges for about £10. And dead reliable too. Can't think of anything else nearly as robust for that sort of money.

BeanieBots

Have to agree Boriz.
The verbal spec. might have been "no moving parts" but the reason is reliability. Servo fits the bill.

Dippy

You could drop a GLCD on the floor and the needle wouldn't move.

Look, I've just thrown my watch against the wall and it still tells the time. But, oops, the shaft on your servo has just bent. Oh heck my needle has just dropped off.

My LCD meter is small and light and uses b-all power, your servo...?

Just kidding of course, I'm sure servos are far better for making an analogue display. I'll just phone NASA :)