Smaller Serial LCD

nfk

Hi All,

The PICAXE alphanumeric LCD panel is great but I need something smaller for a display on a small radio-controlled helicopter. I have got an I2C display working (thanks to the helpful advice from people on this forum) but I'd like to find something simpler to program if possible. I know I could get a parallel LCD display and make a driver for it, etc. but I would have thought there would be something out there already made.

Does anyone know if there is something smaller out there? Smaller digits would also good.

Cheers,
Nigel

[Later Edit] Sorry, I should have said I am looking for a serial LCD display.

Last edited:

nfk

Thanks Marcos, but is that display serial? It looks like a parallel one to me.

This is my fault I think - I don't think I really made it clear but what I'm looking for is a serial LCD display that I could make work hopefully with just one data line as well as 0 and +5V.

Cheers,
Nigel

westaust55

Smaller Serial LCD - AXE-033

In fact, the Rev-Ed AXE-033 LCD display is capable of both Serial and i2c interfacing by the use of a jumper or bridge between two terminals.

moxhamj

Going off on a tangent here, but any extra weight on a helicopter isn't good. I'm wondering about a small RF transmitter on the helicopter, then a seperate box with a receiver, picaxe and display. That would only add a few grams to the helicopter.

Dippy

"Going off on a tangent here, but any extra weight on a helicopter isn't good."

May be he has a very small pilot that needs the display?

nfk

Hi Dr_Acula,

Thanks, good point but weight is not as much of an issue as space.

I have heard that Data-Modul might be able to help - I'll give them a call.

Dippy - :)

Cheers,
Nigel

Tom2000

There is a Hantronix mianiature LCD display that is now showing u on the hobby market.

http://www.hantronix.com/down/16216ls.pdf

I found 2 vendors for this display

Wulfden (includes a pcb and PHAnderson interface)
http://wulfden.org/k107/order.shtml

Electronic Goldmine
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16717

Myc
I used that display for my digicam intervalometer project. It's a good 'un.

But it's a parallel HD44780 interface, which he doesn't want.

BTW... DigiKey sells mating sockets for that display's flexible PC cable. It's a relatively benign (as these things go) 1 mm spacing. If anyone's interested, I can scare up the part number for you.

Tom

Mycroft2152

I used that display for my digicam intervalometer project. It's a good 'un.

But it's a parallel HD44780 interface, which he doesn't want.

BTW... DigiKey sells mating sockets for that display's flexible PC cable. It's a relatively benign (as these things go) 1 mm spacing. If anyone's interested, I can scare up the part number for you.

Tom
Tom,

The PHAnderson driver chip converts it to serial. Also included in the Wulfden kit is the connector.

Myc

nfk

Thanks for all this info guys and yes, that Hantronix display looks neat - except of course it has a separate board to handle the serial part of things.

This raises a question in my mind - why oh why are manufacturers so insistent upon using parallel for everything? There are about 23 bazillion different types of LCD displays with parallel interfaces and virtually none that use serial. I'd have thought that there would be a good market for this type - and the fact that some firms produce serial drivers for them proves that at least some people want them.

Maybe I should just make my own.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Nigel

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Anything added adds costs so parallel makes more sense to OEM's. Serial is limited to the Added Value market where people are prepared to pay the extra to save effort and their costs; worth it for a one-off but not for a thousand-plus. The lack of serial likely illustrates the size of the respective markets. In most cases an extra board or interface chip ( eg, FRM010 ) to allow serial isn't a problem.

nfk

Yes, the FRM010 looks very useful - thanks, I had forgotten about it.

Cheers,
Nigel

(It's interesting that in this month's Elektor magazine they describe a two-wire LCD project but they don't use RS-232.)

Douger

Wulfden K107

Regarding the Wulfden K107 serial to LCD module. I have it working, with the exception of displaying actual data - say from an ADC port. I can display text just fine, but can't figure out how to get data on the display.
Any help is appreciated.

Andrew Cowan

I haven't got mine with me now, but I think it is something like:
serout 0,T2400,"b1"

Try that or with various combinations of quotes and brackets.

Andrew

moxhamj

Re "can't figure out how to get data on the display." Also have a look at the bintoascii command, which converts to ascii numbers.

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

PHA LCD commands

Attached is a summary of the commands.

Note: make sure you have the correct version of the K107/8 for the PICAXE you are using. The K107 is the 8900 baud version. The K108 runs at 2400 baud.

Myc

Attachments