Simplest Linux for AxePad

hitsware

What distro of Linux is easiest and most straight forward
as far as installing and running AxePad ?
Perhaps most Windowslike, as so far I've had small luck
with Linux.
It would be handy if it would run 'live' from a usb drive.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I personally would say most straight forward is Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron), and probably through to Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot).

I had problems with some PC's installing earlier than 8.04 and 12.04 changed udev rules which can make it harder to get AXE027 working.

Generally choose a 32-bit version because some of the 64-bit Linux versions lost some in-built 32-bit support along the way.

Puuhaaja

I'm using Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu 12.04 based distro) and everything is working perfectly. In Axepad thread there are some tricks how to get AXE027 working. It's easy...just copy/paste few lines of code to terminal. If you want to use Axepad with live usb you have to choose persistent live-usb. Remember that everything you change/modify in your live usb is not persistent. Google knows better.

hitsware

Thanks All !
I installed Zorin (supposedly Ubuntu based) on HD.
(second PC (no internet))
(on first PC (XP)
Downloaded LinAXEpad.
Unzipped two times and copied to USB stick
When I put stick in second PC and from terminal:

sudo apt-get install LinAXEpad

I get "cannot find LinAXEpad"
Seems I'm on the verge, but not
using proper name or address or ?????

TheChief

I imagine you just need to use gunzip followed by tar -xvf on the downloaded package as it is a standalone binary and not part of the standard apt Ubuntu repository.

TheChief

Indeed page 8 of the relevant instructions.
Installing LinAXEpad from a Command Shell
Login as a root user then open a Command Shell; under Gnome that will be Terminal, under KDE that will be Konsole. Create a LinAXEpad directory under the Home Directory and move into that directory. For example -
user@linux:~$ mkdir ~/LinAXEpad user@linux:~$ cd ~/LinAXEpad user@linux:~/LinAXEpad$
Locate the downloaded LinAXEpad.tar.gz file then use the tar command to extract the contents into the LinAXEpad directory. The path will be the directory where the LinAXEpad.tar.gz file was downloaded to -
user@linux:~/LinAXEpad$ tar -xvzf path/LinAXEpad.tar.gz
Use the chmod command to ensure the LinAXEpad application is executable -
user@linux:~/LinAXEpad$ chmod 755 LinAXEpad Launch the LinAXEpad Application using -
user@linux:~/LinAXEpad$ LinAXEpad

TheChief

You won't be easily able to access the hardware .ie usb or serial ports via Wine so don't bother. Your best bet is to use the Linux version of the app. Or else use VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation.
I would just stick with plain Windows if you don't have any Linux experience.

nick12ab

I would except for the activation hassle. I don't have internet on the pc in my lab and seem
to need to reinstall every so often. Thanks for the advice ..... :)
If you want to eliminate the need for reactivation when you want to reinstall, do the reinstallation and activation once, install all the updates, then create an Automated System Recovery backup. When you next want to 'reinstall', run Automated System Recovery.

nerdegutta

Thanks All !
I installed Zorin (supposedly Ubuntu based) on HD.
(second PC (no internet))
(on first PC (XP)
Downloaded LinAXEpad.
Unzipped two times and copied to USB stick
When I put stick in second PC and from terminal:

sudo apt-get install LinAXEpad

I get "cannot find LinAXEpad"
Seems I'm on the verge, but not
using proper name or address or ?????
Has Rev-Ed made an *.deb file of linAXEpad? The apt-get -install command applies to already made packages.

I'm running Kubuntu 12.04. This is how I'm doing it:
The linAXEpad is downloaded and unzipped. I start a terminal, then manouver to the dir linAXEpad is and write sudo ./LinAXEpad - voila. There it is, running with root prevs and full access to the serial programmingport.

- nerdegutta

TheChief

It's not good practice to run any apps as root. You just need to add your user to the "dialout" group for serial ports and "usb" for USB access.

nerdegutta

Good point. I never think of that, since I'm the only user of the computer, and usually I know what I'm doing. ;)

- nerdegutta

hitsware

I'm running Kubuntu 12.04. This is how I'm doing it:
The linAXEpad is downloaded and unzipped. I start a terminal, then manouver to the dir linAXEpad is and write sudo ./LinAXEpad - voila. There it is, running with root prevs and full access to the serial programmingport.
- nerdegutta
Would you please post the commands you use to do the above ?

TheChief

hitsware

The commands are as simple as referenced above in my previous posts which also directly quote the installation instructions.
If you follow these and then post any errors you are seeing after this then we can try and help you out.
Until you try the above mentioned there is not really much that anyone can contribute.