Simplelan replacement

memi205

Hi !
Avcom SMT have actually discontinued the sale of the Simplelan. :(

Is there a similar and cheap replacement for this module ?

I saw the PINK module from Parallax... It seem to be compatible with Picaxe but it's too expensive...

dceejay

Any update on this - ? does the serial interface allow you to send what you like to udp - or do they wrapper it ?

jet defloor

replacement for Simplelan

Hi Stelios.
did you find that the bifferbox was easily controlled by Picaxe for udp data transfer?

steliosm

Yes.
I had no problem running a few python apps I wrote for the Picaxe (twitter client and Jabber/GTalk client).

It's not easy to send UDP packages to the network unless you create an application to receive data from the serial port and push that data as UDP packages. I didn't need that functionality, so I never got to writing this application.

I use the bifferboard more a a PC replacement for the projects needing a small pc to provice Internet/Network access and data storage.

lbenson

AvComTec, the manufacturers of the simplelan module, no longer list it, but I just called them and they still have them for sale by phone. The number is (614) 882-8176. UDP is very easy with the SimpleLan.

Code space requirements are such that an 18X is probably required at minimum. I would recommend at least a 20X2.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I was going to suggest using Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) as a means of getting UDP/IP data from a PICAXE to a PC, router, BifferBoard and similar. The PICAXE can build the packet up and just send it via serial, the PC OS will do all the rest, and it can even receive and pass packets back to the PICAXE via serial.

It's a very simple protocol, should require minimal configuration, and 'everything' supports it; Linux, Mac, Windows. Except it appears Windows 7 ;-}

It may be the best way to use a second-hand PC or laptop. With an ISA bus and a 3com NIC it should be possible to get it all working with MS-DOS, no Windows required. An old 8086 (!) or up should be enough.

MPep

@Hippy,

using Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) as a means of getting UDP/IP data from a PICAXE to a PC
I have tried to understand this protocol, but haven't found too many examples on the 'net.

Is this where you design a page, then serially send out the whole form using the ESC character as required by SLIP?

MPep.