Setfreq and external resonator

smeagol

From what I understand, reading through the manual, if I add a 16MHz resonator to a 28X2 it will automatically run at 64Mhz, there is no need to use the Setfreq command. Is this correct?

Suppose I have a circuit with the resonator connected can I override the 64MHZ with setfreq? I.e the picaxe normally runs at 64MHz but I want to slow it down in some instances with setfreq and then return to full 64MHz speed, presumably having to use setfreq again.

Cheers

eclectic

From what I understand, reading through the manual, if I add a 16MHz resonator to a 28X2 it will automatically run at 64Mhz, there is no need to use the Setfreq command. Is this correct?

snip.
Cheers
No, you must "tell" it what frequency to use.

Otherwise, it defaults to 8MHz

e

Counsel of perfection:
1. Print out M2, p.221.
2. Attach an oscilloscope.

3. Attach resonators 4/8/16 MHz

Play. :))

Last edited:

smeagol

Ah OK.

So to get 64MHz I would need to use "setfreq em64" and then I could use any of the "setfreq mxx" to slow down to any of the mxx speeds when needed. of course having to issue "setfreq em64" to return to 64MHz. Correct?

eclectic

Ah OK.

So to get 64MHz I would need to use "setfreq em64" and then I could use any of the "setfreq mxx" to slow down to any of the mxx speeds when needed. of course having to issue "setfreq em64" to return to 64MHz. Correct?
Provided that they are within the range k31 to M16,
yes.
e

smeagol

Counsel of perfection:
1. Print out M2, p.221.
2. Attach an oscilloscope.

3. Attach resonators 4/8/16 MHz

Play. :))
I would love to play with a scope, would come in useful, but there is a big empty space waiting for womai to finish his new cheaper version ;-)