serial reader program

radcom

I need a small visual basic 6 program that will display the current number value of a variable (not b0 as I have all ready used this) in a label or text box (in BIG numbers) and also how do I interface a picaxe 18X to a computer I have read the manual on this but do not understand it so if some one could provide a clear interface involving the safest way (i.e. I don't want to damage my computer's serial port) thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Dippy

Start off with a search for OnComm - as this has been covered several times, complete with example VB code.

Also keep an eye on the current thread about Serial Timing as I'm sure some kind soul will paste a wedge of VB code soon.

It would also be helpful if you indicated your level of skill/experience with a) Serial Comms and, b) Electronics.

And while you have a quiet moment have a read of the Help(?) in VB on the subject of MSComm. You may also see several examples that may give you pointers.

radcom

i do have some expeiences whit electronics but as for serial comms not a clue

womai

Here is some code I found very helpful to get going:

http://www.rentron.com/sending_data.htm
http://www.rentron.com/receiving_data.htm

It's for the Basic Stamp but converting the essential parts to the Picaxe is relatively straightforward. And the Visual Basic part can stay unchanged.

Wolfgang

radcom

that renon stuff was brillent i now have the computer program end

now just the connection lead/interface between the picaxe and my expensive computer
then just the picaxe code to send out the data

moxhamj

The computer lead is simple. Use the same dual resistor network as is used for programming, and connect to a different pin and use serin. The output from the picaxe to the PC can stay as is (ie pin 0) and use serout to that pin. Program the picaxe. Then reconnect the PC=>picaxe to the new pin. Then fire up the VB code and start chatting to the picaxe. The picaxe code is essentially serin and serout. Re displaying a big number on the screen, use a VB label, then click on the label and on the right properties panel, change the forecolor and font size to whatever. Can fill the whole screen if you like.

radcom

which is pin 0 is it pin one on the chip input pin one or output pin one.

radcom

could someone please tell me how i can connect to the serial out pin on a picaxe 18X project board and also use the serial in i have already used inputs 6 and 7 and outputs 0 and 1 but i could change the outputs but not the input as i am using the keyin command as well or could i change the keyin inputs?

Edited by - radcom on 09/11/2006 18:45:29

Edited by - radcom on 10/11/2006 21:59:51

radcom

i have been told the serial connection circuit but where do i connect the tx and rx to in put 0 and 1 on the project board
________