Rgb cube?

limaD_07

Ok so is it possible to control an 8x8x8 rgb cube that can run off a o8m chip or do i need something bigger? Im just not sure how to do it? All i need is a schematic and my systems teacher can help me with the rest.

I have seen many plans of just led cube and i believe the RGB cubes are much harder i just need the schematic to see if i can do it or not? Otherwise i will be making a led cube as they look amazing to!

Moved from Finished projects.

Last edited by a moderator:

nick12ab

Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

I have seen many plans of just led cube and i believe the RGB cubes are much harder i just need the schematic to see if i can do it or not? Otherwise i will be making a led cube as they look amazing to!
Imagine the RGB cubes as having three times as many LEDs in one direction (so 8x8x24). There's no way an 08M2 on its own can do it and even with shift registers it might not be fast enough to multiplex them. A 40X2 would be suitable for the task (with shift registers for the 24 side).

premelec

Jameco 8x8x8 LED

Jameco.com has an 8x8x8 kit shown driven by an arduino - the 16MB PDF manual has detailed instructions. Jameco is a good parts supplier I've used for years. The kit is monochrome but you get the idea :)

boriz

8x8x8 = 512 LEDs and the Picaxe 8m has 4 output pins. And RGB meas three times as many, so 1536 LEDs with 4 outputs. Hmmm. Maybe with fantasyplexing?

I suppose it could be done serially, but it would be dead slow.

erco

8x8x8 = 512 LEDs and the Picaxe 8m has 4 output pins. And RGB meas three times as many, so 1536 LEDs with 4 outputs. Hmmm. Maybe with fantasyplexing?

I suppose it could be done serially, but it would be dead slow.
Seriously, lima. Sure sounds like your first cube. Better start with a mono 3x3 to see how tough that is before moving up. Everyone has to pay their dues. :)