RF Link Transmitter - 434MHz - only one in the same location?

hisem

The RF magic software is fairly simple to use. The default is RS485 and you might want to change that to RS232, but then again, talking directly to a picaxe, you would just use the TTL pins. RS232 could still be useful linking a module to a PC.

Next issue is the baud rate, and while 9600 is nice, it might be a bit fast for some of the picaxes. So you might have to drop that.

Those are the only two settings that need changing. The only other complexity is setting up the module on a breadboard in order to program it. Manuka has a couple of modules so stay tuned for some photos soon...
Thanks for your reply :) I have no doubt that RF Magic is easy to use but all my computers are running Linux and I doubt I will be able to run RFMagic and I dont want to put out hundreds of dollars to buy windows just to run it. Also I dont intend to connect the transceivers to a computer, but rather to two picaxe circuits. You hit the nail on the head with the two settings mentioned above, they were what I was thinking about. Is there a way to change those settings from the picaxe? or someother way, any other way than useing RFMagic? Even if its complicated or requires more circuitry?
If not, can I make them 'talk' with whatever default settings they come with? I will be using either 18X's or 08M's.
Also once again this is my very first attempt at using anything wireless, so please forgive my ignorence. Would I be correct in thinking that I simply hook up the picaxe input/output pins to pins 4 and 5 of this transciever(RXD/TXD) and send serial commands as if they were wired together?
Thank you for your help :)

eclectic

and I dont want to put out hundreds of dollars to buy windows just to run it. :)
As has been said several times on this Forum,

get a cheap (or free) Win98 laptop, or similar.
Works fine with the Programming Editor.

I'm sure you'll find one available wherever
"here" is. :))

Ec

Last edited:

hisem

As has been said several times on this Forum,

get a cheap (or free) Win98 laptop, or similar.
Works fine with the Programming Editor.

I'm sure you'll find one available wherever
"here" is. :))

Ec
I apreciate your reply, but I think you miss understood,...
I'm not trying to be able to program picaxe's,... Axepad for linux works great for that! :) I use it on my netbook running linux, I use it on my Notebook running linux, I use it on my desktop(s) running linux, and should I need to, I could run it on my server(s) running linux. ;)
Please don't make me buy ANOTHER computer!!LOL
Especially just to change some settings that once done I'll never need to do again!
I just want to be able to use the sure transceivers I've purchased :(
If anyone can please tell me, can the settings on the sure Transceivers (RMB-CM12111) be altered by any other means? And if, as I said above, am I correct in assuming, all I need to do is connect pins 4 and 5 (RXD/TXD) of the transceiver to the picaxe (18X?)? Then can I send serial commands as if two pixaxe's were connected to each other?
If anyone could shed some light on this I'd really apreciate it, if it comes down to it - I'll scrap the units and buy different one's,...That would be the cheapest option I guess,.. but rather a shame :(

manuka

Of ye of little faith-the supplied "RF Magic" config. software may well be Windows only! Like 90% of the globe, I'm essentially XP orientated & haven't bothered checking it with other OS.

These Sure RMB-CM12111 433 MHz data transceivers are essentially just rebadged Appcon APC220 of course, so perhaps search under that heading ? Even a quickee Google shows forums outlining APC220 Linux use & config.

I've yet to give the 2 Sure RMB-CM12111 units here a good work out, but recall reading their config could also be done via a terminal program instead of under the normal Win "RF Magic" approach. In any case they have default settings that should get you started "as is". Stan.

EXTRA: Be darned- easier done that said with Google being everyones friend - this Appcon APC220 manual surfaced within 30 seconds. It includes extensive config. insights (sample page attached) that imply non Win approaches may well be feasible.

Attachments

Last edited:

hisem

Of ye of little faith -the supplied "RF Magic" config. software may well be Windows only ! Like 90% of the globe, I'm essentially XP orientated & haven't bothered checking other OS.

These Sure RMB-CM12111 433 MHz data transceivers are essentially just rebadged Appcon APC220 of course, so perhaps search under that heading ? Even a quickee Google shows forums outlining APC220 Linux use & config.

I've yet to give the 2 Sure RMB-CM12111 units here a good work out, but recall reading their config could also be done via a terminal program instead of under the normal Win "RF Magic" approach. In any case they have default settings that should get you started "as is". Stan.

EXTRA: Be darned- easier done that said with Google being everyones friend - this Appcon APC220 manual surfaced within 30 seconds. It includes extensive config. insights (sample page attached) that imply non Win approaches may well be feasible.
Thank you :) That was what I needed. Sometimes You just need to be pointed in a new direction.

manuka

Happy to help. In return how about you let us know just how you get on! I'm penning a Sure article & such insights will be appreciated. Stan.