Resonator?

RogerTango

It looks like the 28 and 40 require a resonator, am I reading this correct? I thought all that was needed to program and run was the same as the 14, etc..

Do I or do I not need a resonator?

What type? Digikey part number handy anyone?

Many thanks,
Andrew

ylp88

You can also use an 8MHz or 16MHz resonator (internal or external, as suggested by Hippy) with some consideration: you should check the commands manual for information as to which commands need special consideration as to the effects of changing the resonator frequency.

ylp88

RogerTango

Thank you very much for the clarification. SparkFun sells the variety that does not need resonators, but I wanted to make sure.

I remember about 2 years ago when I first got started with AVRs I had to use resonators. I bought the serial and the parallel programmer kit, all the parts I needed, etc.. etc.. and never had a lot of success. I still have no idea what was going wrong.

Then I just discovered the PICAXE. I figured Id give 'em a try, I got 2 14s from SparkFun, and a serial programmer cable (I can build one, but hey.. I knew Id be wanting to jump on the chip right away, HA HA!) With the PICAXE, Ive had nothing but fun and success!!

I just ordered some more 14s and a few 8s to fiddle with.

Thanks to all-
Andrew