Resistors on the board

motherhugger

and what is the use of the 22k and 10k..blue line...cant find it in the manual

oh i forgot...and what is the use of the capacitor in the right side of the l293d...

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

It's not a board that I have. Can you tell us which one? Is there a circuit in the datasheet?

The 10k and 22k are the download circuit components - check Manual 1: "Getting Started"

westaust55

Which manual are you looking in?

See manual 1 pages 25 onwards.

The 22k and 10k resistors for the input circuit for programming the PICAXE chips. The same circuit is used for all PICAXE chips.

If you move the PICAXE to your own PCB where you do not intend to program the chip, then you MUST ALWAYS retain the 10k resistor to ground .
Otherwise the PICAXE will "think" you are trying to download a new program and stop executing the installed program.

EDIT:

my guess as to the "whats this, whats it for":
likely is a poly type capacitor which is used to help filter out higher frequency spikes casued by the switching of transistors within the ICs. Often called a decoupling capacitor.

The Electro:
(I don't have that AXE020 board) but likely for power supply "support" so when you switch loads with the L293D or ULN2803.
In simple laymans terms, the Electro type cacacitor acts as a reserve to help stabilise the voltage where the battery alone might dip in voltage with the load surge. This dips could cause the PICAXE to reset and thus you project would not world as wanted.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The 10K/22K is the download interface.

The "What's this?" is a decoupling capacitor, probably 100nF.

The electrolytic capacitor at bottom right is used as a power supply 'reservoir capacitor'; it connects between +V and 0V.

BeanieBots

Not everyone has every PICAXE board so it is always a good idea to state as an absolute minimum what the board is. In this case the AXE020 28 pin project board.

Page 2 of where I guess you got that diagram shows the circuit.
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe020.pdf

The long 10k 'thing' with many legs is a single in-line (SIL) pack of 10k resistors used to pull down the inputs.

That is pretty much a MINIMUM circuit for using a 28X.
It is a very good idea to fit the 100nF and 10uF caps to any circuit for decoupling noise on the power rail.

motherhugger

thank you once again as you have enlighten me..appreciate this...now time for some researching about decoupling capacitors and reservoir capacitors

thank you...