remote control troubles

technokid

Hello

I have a remote from dick smiths (KT3065) and I was going to use it to control a small robot, but when I used the irin or infrain2 commands on my 20M2, it didn't read the button presses.
The code for testing the infain2 and irin commands that I used are:
Code:
start:
infrain2
debug
goto start
and

Code:
start:
irin b.5,b0
debug
goto start
I was wondering if I just had the wrong infra-red receiver (TSOP41 or 16672), or if those commands only work on the only compatible remote shown when I look up the commands.
You can find information on the TSOP41 here: http://www.vishay.com/docs/82460/tsop45.pdf

Technokid.

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

Can you provide a link to the KT3065? I can't find the remote on the Dick Smith site.

Regardless, you will need to set up the remote in the Sony SIRC TV mode.

technokid

First of all, it is an old remote and isn't on the site anymore. To find it you have to Google search it.
Secondly, I just realized that it is a DVD Player remote, not a TV remote. Will that matter?
If it does matter, I have a TV remote from Hisense. Will that do?
I also have an old universal remote(by remotec). It is called the remote master 320. Will this work?
Finally, what is Sony SIRC TV mode? I have not heard of it (all of my TVs are hisense).

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

I'll try a nuts-and-bolts way of describing your situation.

Imagine you have the best possible home theatre: TV, receiver, PVR, DVD, Tuner, and 7+1 channel amplifier. Throw in a VCR, remote controlled lights and curtains. ...and a remote controlled ceiling fan or air conditioner as well. Everything imaginable.

All of the devices are controlled the same way: they respond to pulsed infra red light. However, each one is designed to only respond its own IR protocol and signature and reject signals intended for the other devices. It is likely that the IR receivers on every device will the detect 38 to 40 kHz pulsed infrared. The software or firmware in each device selects the commands intended only for itself.

The PICAXE chip is like any of the above devices: its firmware is written to respond to only the Sony SIRC (Sony Infra Red Control) protocol. And then, only to SIRC signals intended for a (Sony) TV. So, for a PICAXE to receive and understand a signal from an IR remote control, you must use a remote that is sending Sony TV signals.

Your HiSense remote controls use a different protocol and device ID code, so will not work with a PICAXE. The TSOP receiver will receive the signal and send it to the PICAXE but the PICAXE firmware will not recognise or respond to the commands.

AllyCat

Hi,

As others have implied, there are literally hundreds of different Infra Red remote control protocols. The one you need is one which has been "borrowed" from Sony TVs. So you can use one of the following, assuming that you want a "handheld" Remote Control (and not just to communicate between two PICAXEs via IR):

1. A "genuine" Sony TV Remote Control that uses the Sony SIRC protocol, or a "compatible" RC such as the Rev.Ed. TVR010.

2. A "Universal" Remote Control which can be set to the Sony protocol (you might need to try setting it to various different Sony TV model numbers before it will work).

3 A "Learning" Remote Control (which often will be a Universal type anyway) which can learn the RC codes transmitted by an IR diode connected to a PICaxe (using suitable test code).

Cheers, Alan.