Remote control of Camcorder

tt92

With much advice from members of this forum I have developed several picaxe-based remote controls for various Canon and Pentax cameras. The Canon remotes access the Infrared sensor on the camera and the Pentax remotes plug into the appropriate socket on the camera. I can leave a camera unattended for up to seven hours to photograph timid birds. I am becoming more ambitious. Some camcorders now seem to have true high-definition 1080p resolution and I am tempted to try my hand at setting up an unattended camcorder with a remote control.
Here is where it gets difficult. I cannot find out what sort of remote, if any, these camcorders provide. All I want to do is turn the thing on and turn it off again. I rather hoped the Sony cameras would respond to the Sony codes built in to the Picaxe 08M but the publicity stuff I get with Google doesn't mention it.
Does anyone here know anything about remote controls for Sony camcorders, or indeed for any slightly upmarket camcorder? Can anyone point me to any information that Google has so far denied me?

DTB Radio

Have you tried the direct approach of contacting Sony and speaking with someone from their engineering staff? I'm not saying it would be easy, but it would be worth a try.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

I've had luck with DTB Radio's suggestion of direct contact with large companies so it's worth a try.
They may ask you to sign a "Non Disclosure" agreement but that's no big deal, just make sure you don't disclose.

Presumably your camera came with a remote?
If yes, then have a look at the signal on a 'scope and try to replicate it with a bit-bang method.

tt92

I have tried the direct approach. More than once. It doesn't work. It takes forever and involves a lot of waiting around and I rarely get anyone who even understands my question.
I haven't bought a camera yet, so I haven't seen if it has a remote or not. I am trying to find out enough so that I know which camera to buy. It is pointless to ask at either of the camera shops within fifty kilometres, because the answer is always, "Tell us what you want and we'll get it in for you."
Often in this kind of situation you learn what you should have bought after you have bought something close to what you should have bought. The range of camera I am looking at is too expensive for this approach.
It is surprising just how unhelpful Google can be.

BeanieBots

Some very valid points there.
A lot depends on who you can get hold of. Have a good browse around the 'big boys' sites, they sometimes publish e-mail adresses for technical enquiries. Also, publications such as 'Which' might give you an address if you ask them. It's also worth posting your question on photographic forums. Even if they don't know the answer, they may well be able to give you a contact.

As for Google, it's as good as those who contribute to it. It's a two way thing.
Product reviews are written by volunteers. One of the reasons I'm happy to contribute to forums such as this is by way of small payback for all the free information I've taken from Google searches.