Question to Technical Re One Wire tutorial

rmeldo

Hi technical,

Is the one wire tutorial available? It is mentioned in the manual and I found a thread from a year ago saying that it was being prepared, but I cannot find it on the Picaxe website.

I am interested in reading DS18B20 temperature sensors from a one-wire bus witha 40X1. I haven't tried yet. I thought I would read the documentation available yet.

Thanks

Riccardo

MFB

Product support

Now that Rev-Ed are fortunate enough to have Hippy’s communications skills available full-time we may start to see some long overdue tutorials, on such popular PICAXE topics as:

Interfacing one-wire devices.
Using the X1 scratchpad feature to receive GPS sentences in background mode.
Interfacing mass-storage Flash memory devices.

Any more suggestions for tutorials out there?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Are they "popular PICAXE topics" in the wider scheme of things ? I'm not saying they are not and it is obviously Rev-Ed's stated intent to provide tutorials but ( as I have said before ) all companies have to direct resources in their own and customers' best benefits and not everything materialises when hoped for. Tutorials take a lot of time and effort to get right ( plus learning "how to" and proving it works for the writer to start with ) and sometimes other things take priority.

That's not to say tutorials will not be forthcoming and it's certainly good to know what PICAXE users consider to be important tutorials to have so such suggestions are welcome.

In the meantime I can only suggest taking what there is in the manuals and what else there is by way of Googling and links from other forum users ( thanks for that one Michael 2727 ) and to ask on the forum if you run into problems.

One thing I suggest when learning a new topic like One-Wire interfacing or pursuing a 'neat PICAXE idea' is to note how much time and effort goes into it to get an understanding and a project working as required. It gives an appreciation as to how much a tutorial writer has to learn themselves and that's before having to describe it in a form others can understand and use. That's not excuse making on my or anyone elses's part; I was surprised myself by how much time and effort went into producing my own projects and web site content, and there are still projects I haven't documented because it's just too much time and effort to make it worthwhile, and that's from when I had a lot of spare time on my hands and didn't really have to justify whatever I was doing at the time.

Last edited:

rmeldo

I got my answer.

thanks.

The Maxim website and this forum gives quite a few "heads ups". and the Picaxe forum explains how to do it (might try tonight).

Riccardo

BeanieBots

Oh so true Hippy:(

rmeldo, the examples given for the OWIN/OWOUT commands in the manual just happen to be for the DS18B20. They work, I've tried them.