Question on project with Two Chips interfaced with one RTCC and LCD (AXE033).

Lobobo

Hi.
I am doing quite complicated (for me) project as it involves two chips (28x2 and 40x2) connected via serial and both requiring the time reading from LCD. It's heating system project where I was short of RAM and EEPROM, so I decided to go for two chips. One chip does the timetable job, it calculates when to turn different heating modes on and off according it's timetable and has all presets saved into it's EEPROM (received via serial). It reads RTC and checks the conditions. The second chip does the calculations of temperatures related to outside temperature and other temp sensors and controls the outputs and also controls inputs to preset values from the user onto other chip's EEPROM what's related to time settings. It's damn confusing, but I decided to go for it as I want this super duper controller. So my question is how shall I connect my chips via I2C to AXE033 and get time reading the same time. They both works very well when separate. Is it just parallel wiring to I2C, but I doubt as I am afraid if both chips calling for the time, plus sometimes one chip is sending data to LCD, does these messages collide or gets corrupted because of the traffic? I'm trying it now and I don't get the right results, so I wonder what can I do differently? How to arrange these communications? Does it have anything to do with I2Cslave addressing?
I don't want to add the code here as it miles long on both chips. Please give me the rough idea how is the best way to do it by your opinion.
Thank you

mrburnette

Refer to this thread: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?20772-OK-So-how-do-you-share-SPI-and-I2C-devices-on-a-PICAXE

not exactly the same thing, but in the same ballpark.

If you are connecting the two PICAXE serially, would you not be able to simply send the time/date string from the first PICAXE to the second over the RS232 port? IF you have structured your serial communications with a command header, then adding a new type should be straightforward... common number of variables required but you will require a little more code in both chips to handle the send-time/receive-time command.

- Ray