Question about programming PICAXE chips...

johnmobley

I know the following question will sound stupid to pretty much everyone. But I have run across a situation that has made it inconvenient for me to work on several of my projects. I understand and would rather use the PICAXE Programming Software to program my chips. However I have a couple of projects where I do not have access to the the Programming Software and can not install it on those systems. So this makes it hard on me because every time I have to make a change to the code, I have to remove the chip from the project/equipment I am working on, take it home, reprogram it, and take it back to test the system.

I was just wondering if there was any way at all to program the PICAXE chips using something like Hyperterminal by using the send file command (or even a send text file command)?

inglewoodpete

I understand the problem but I don't think there is a simple solution. The problem would be the same with any microcontroller system.

The options are to use a portable computer (eg laptop) or buy a second chip, so that you can program the spare chip and swap it over. (Or get really, really long programming cable ;);))

manuka

However I have a couple of projects where I do not have access to the the Programming Software and can not install it on those systems.
I can't really see your problem- especially since removing the PICAXE from it's mount may damage pins,get lost or spike your fingers. Now those are problems!

Indeed why not just grab a cheap netbook PC & load the programming software on that? The Android tablet age has meant the likes of 3 yo. Win7 10" HP minis are now thick on the ground at $$ type prices,with a battery life of still many hours. I recently picked up a "touchy keyboard" (easily fixed) dual core HP 110-3627TU for <US$50! Yeah- I paid too much...

It's normally recommended that the 10k/22k resistors & a simple 3 connection programming socket/access point is included on all PICAXE projects of course too.

lewisg

Will PE run from a flash drive? If it will and the systems where the projects are located will mount a flash drive that would solve part of the problem. I'd never construct a Picaxe project without some sort of programming connector. Just not worth the bother.

Another method would be a old notebook/netbook and a very basic board with a ZIF socket that you could take on site. At least you wouldn't have to take the chip home.

westaust55

... I have a couple of projects where I do not have access to the the Programming Software and can not install it on those systems.
What "systems"? are these client or school PC's ?
As already mentioned can you take along your own computer (laptop) with the PE software installed?
Hoe does the end user intend the projects be maintained longer term not allowing the PE software on the site "systems"?

Which PICAXE chip(s) are involved?
While not much different, the X2 parts have the ability to download a program from a slot in an external EEPROM which would need a new input devices (switch and socket) to intiate a download.

What are the changes you are having to make?
Client changing requirements or your bug fixes, or other?

What are they controlling?
If small enought, are you able to take the PICAXE controlled item home for software development and debugging?

More information may just lead to other recommendations/solutions

BeanieBots

I'm with Westy on this.
I think the effort needs to go into WHY there is frequent need for a new download.
If it is customer configuration, then that can be taken care of in other ways.
As also mentioned, X2 devices can download new code from an EEPROM device. This could be built into a simple plug arrangement.

grim_reaper

I can think of a (far too familiar) situation where on-site programming might not be acceptable - if the equipment is located on a plant/site with an explosive atmosphere. A request to shut down production for hours just to reload code on a small auxiliary system just gets a 'no' sometimes!

As others have said though, this kind of situation should have been taken into account during the design phase!