Programming and Customizing the Picaxe Book

donrecardo

Hi,
Does any one own a copy of the excellent book " Programming and Customizing the Picaxe " by David Lincoln ?

I just bought it myself and was looking through the examples in hope it will aid with the learning of how to program picaxe chips as I am very new to picaxe

On page 215 of the book it shows a 7 segment display being driven using a picaxe 08 and a 74595 as a driver.
I can follow it ok and wish to try it out but the example is using a common cathode display and all my displays are common anode ( Sods Law) so I need to make it work with common anode displays

On page 212 it shows the table of codes to turn on the correct segments of the display . eg $BE $82 $DC for 0 , 1 and 2 etc
If I reverse all the 1s and zeros so $BE, $82 , $DC becomes $41, $7D, $23 etc and If I connect the common Anodes of my displays to 5v rather than in the example in the book where he connects the cathodes to 0v
Should it then work, or have i missed the point somewhere along the way

Regards
Don

westaust55

Driving 7 Seg DIsplay with 74HC595

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

Yes, what you are proposing (invert the bits as presented at the 74HC595 outputs and connect common to +5V instead of 0V) will work.

donrecardo

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

Yes, what you are proposing (invert the bits as presented at the 74HC595 outputs and connect common to +5V instead of 0V) will work.

Hi ,
Thanks for the welcome and also the confirmation that it should work, thats just what I was hoping to hear

Don