Programmable turntable with dispenser

Dangre

I thought I’d dust off my old programming skills and attempt a ‘real’ project. I am creating a programmable turntable to dispense small parts. I have searched the forum and on the web for similar Picaxe projects and have a good idea how to program what I need, but I’m sure I am not the first to do what I am trying to do. Any links or code snipets is greatly appreciated!:cool:
1) Input from matrix keypad (2-digit number).
2) Display number to serial display.
3) Press button on keypad to accept 2-digit number.
4) Move servo (turntable) to position associated with 2-digit number.
5) Activate second servo to eject part.
6) Wait for next 2-digit number input from keypad
I plan on implementing a matrix keypad, serial display (I have a bunch of 4-digit HC4LED displays), and 08M2 like the one described by Ron Hackett and using another 08M2 to control the servos. I would like to have the keypad/display module store the 2-digit numbers until the servo control module is ready for the next position. This way the operator can input all the required numbers and walk away while the servos do their thing. This is the part I am confused how to do the storing and handshaking. I almost have the servo/positioning worked out and the code for the keypad/display are well documented by Mr. Hackett (thanks Ron!). The turntable will be able to rotate 360deg with about 40 programmed positions.

nick12ab

1) Input from matrix keypad (2-digit number).
3) Press button on keypad to accept 2-digit number.
How will you be connecting this? A resistor matrix or direct scanning on the PICAXE? There has been some talk on keypads in this thread. Near the end of that thread, I have posted an example for accepting digits (but for 4 digits not 2 but you can modify it).

2) Display number to serial display.
Have you decided what type of serial display? Sparkfun offer a 4 digit 7 segment display (in red, yellow and blue) and Rev-Ed offer various serial LCDs and OLEDs in 16x2 and 20x4 text format.

4) Move servo (turntable) to position associated with 2-digit number.
5) Activate second servo to eject part.
The PICAXE system provides the servo command which allows you to control up to 8 servos with one PICAXE.

This is the part I am confused how to do the storing and handshaking.
In what way?

I almost have the servo/positioning worked out and the code for the keypad/display are well documented by Mr. Hackett (thanks Ron!). The turntable will be able to rotate 360deg with about 40 programmed positions.
So presumably you're using the keypad with the resistor matrix. And serial display - spi is a type of serial so are you referring to the serial LCD or the serial (spi) 7-segment display? Or this thing?

Dangre

Not as elaborate as the 'draught sorter'. See first post for operation sequence. Nic12, I have the servo positioning figured out. Yes, I'm using that thinghttp://www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe/HC4LED/index.shtml. The part I'm still researching is storing the input value (2-digit number from keypad) and having the servo controller read this value, move to linked position, read next value, etc. Should I just index to a new variable to store the next keypad input? How do I know what value to read from the servo controller. This is were I need some suggestions. I would think the operator could input a 2-digit number into the keypad in about 1-2 seconds where it might take 5-10 seconds for the turntable to perform its function before it 'reads' the next 2-digit value. The operator may need to input 30 2-digit values at a time while waiting for the turntable to catch up... Oh yea, matrix keypad uses resister network. Ron Hackett code will suffice for the keypad input/hardware.