Proceedure & GoSub not connected in Editor V6.0.8.0

Soar 11

When using the flow chart with new or existing files the subroutines are not connected. Error message comes up suggesting that the Procedure & GoSub must be connected with lines. This doesn't occur when creating a .bas file.
Am I missing something in setup files?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You seem to be misunderstanding how to use these 2 commands as no line would ever be needed between the gosub and the procedure itself, although they would need to be given the same name. Please attach the problem flowchart for us to take a look.

Soar 11

Thanks for responding Technical
Sorry, cannot attach any one of the 55 flowcharts I have because the error message will not allow me to convert the flowchart to basic, let me explain.
Have used the "go sub command & Procedure command" in all flow charts and works very well.....and yes you are correct, a line does not have to be drawn between the two commands
Downloaded Editor V6.0.8.0 and the following problem started.
When running a flowchart program in the simulator a bright red error box pops up at the first "gosub command" in the program.
It states:
"error in cellxxxx (no where to go) Try redrawing the lines out of this cell"
Tried 8 different programs that have worked well in the past, all report the same error.
Tried creating new programs using V6.0.8.0 and same problem......it seems "gosub is not seeing procedure" is this a male/female thing and there're having a fight?

Please note, this does not seem to occur when programming in basic.

Possibly I should delete the Picaxe program and re-install
If that doesn't work, can I revert back to a previous version of the editor?

Thank you ;)
As an aside, I've only been doing this for a year after retirement and thoroughly enjoy the benefits of Picaxe, the forum is awesome and all the moderators are to be commended.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Please attach the plf flowchart file to a forum post so that we can try to reproduce the error. Or send it via email to support @ picaxe dot com

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Thanks for the file. The problem is there are no lines out of the GOSUB cells so the flowchart does not know where to go once the procedure has been executed and has returned.

Soar 11

Thanks Hippy but sorry I don't understand.
Just tried the posted program in an older version of Editor and all works as it should, tried the posted program in V6.0.8.0 and rec'd the error messages.
Please advise what you mean by "there are no lines out of the GOSUB ......"

Soar 11

I've never had to do that with over 55 files, if lines must be drawn then there is no sense using the GOSUB & PROCEDURE commands......one would simply connect a line between the appropriate cells.
Does't make sense.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
A GOSUB cell calls a procedure which returns and then continues so a GOSUB cell needs to have a path from it.

Looking at your full flowchart it appears you may be using GOSUB as if GOTO, not expecting the procedures to return. It may be that more recent versions of PE6 are noting the lack of continuation lines which may not have been so rigorously checked for in earlier versions which could be why the error is only being flagged with the latest version.

Soar 11

Thank you.
Believe I understand it now but must say that with my somewhat simplistic approach to programming, the older method of "no lines Required" was much easier and neater however, understand the need for proper error checking.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
In PE6 there are 'connection point pairs' which can be used to join different points on the flowchart together. In BASIC this would be 'goto'

A gosub expects the named sub-procedure to be terminated with a 'return'.
When the return is processed the processing jumps back to the line coming out of the bottom of the gosub cell. Your flowcharts are missing that line.