problems downloading

Graham Swindley

we are using PICAXE 08M chips on 101 boards adapted to run a Steady Hand game. Downloading is almost impossible. Just very occasionally it works. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Graham

Rickharris

Not much to go on here - Power supply - bad connections - 10K - 22K resistors not soldered correctly.

What have you tried to resolve the problems?

Graham Swindley

Power supply OK on multimeter
Resistors OK
I suspect a problem with in2 which is connected to the wiggly wire. It is insulated but??

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I've no idea what the "wiggly wire" is - most people here have no idea of the actual application or hardware you are using the PICAXE in - but Input Pin 2 should not affect download.

If you mean physical Leg 2 ( Download Serial In ), then the connection there is an issue, and also that coming from Leg 7. What's been loaded as a program can also affect the next download. A few suggestions ...

* Try programming the 08M on the 101 board without it connected to the other hardware; s that more reliable ?

* Have you tried a "hard reset" as described in the manual when downloading ?

* How reliably does the PICAXE respond to a "Firmware?" button click in View->Options ?

MiB1986

Can only recommend the basics,

Does the picaxe program in another board?

Did you make the programming lead, very easy to read the pins wrong and make a left hand lead instead of a right hand or visa versa, if so check your lead?

if you are using out0 then this is also part of the programming and should for the purpose of this test and whenever programming be connected to serial out only!, hence the jumper on the prototype boards,

When you say "wiggly" wire i assume you mean the part the person has to run the handle along without touching the wiggly wire, i gather that the handle has say 5volts in it and when you short the handle to the "wiggly" wire you mean a connection and hence an input is recieved.

This should not effect programming,

Kind Regards

MiB1986

if you dont have a reset button you can only disconnect the power,

try:
clicking download with the power disconnected and then as soon as the bar appears re connect the battery pack!

Kind Regards

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You need to clarify your circuit.
If you are using AXE101 Cyberpet board i/o2 is actually an LED output - so you couldn't connect that to the switch without modifying the PCB.

You could put the two wires to your steady hand game (one to the 'wiggle' wire, one to the loop handle) from the switch position (input3) or the LDR position (input1) without PCB modification.

If incorrectly wired a short circuit on output 2 could certainly prevent a download. Can you explain better what arrangement you are using?

Edited by - Technical on 24/05/2007 18:52:37

Graham Swindley

Technical
Yes the circuit is wired as you suggest input1 and input3 are the contacts and we have 3 outputs. Today we managed 7 downloads and it stopped. Tried different pcb, tried cycling power. No change.