Printing via Serout to USB printer

manie

Hi all
After a long while I need some info again........ I need to print from a Picaxe via Serout/Hserout to a USB printer, linked directly to the Picaxe.

A forum search showed some FRM015 chip but those printers are impossible to find now.

Any help ???

manie

Thanks Hippy
Will I require printer drivers etc. before I can even think of printing to USB printers ? I was thinking to connect the printer directly to the Picaxe.
What I want is a datalogger with printing facility. Possible ?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You can't simply connect a PICAXE to a USB printer. and you will need something in the USB Host module which can understand your printer and that probably does vary depending on printer.

You could use a PC which has the required printer drivers and write a program which receives serial and then prints that out. A small single board computer might be the best bet.

Paix

Not that you would want a teleprinter/TTY machine, but things were certainly very simple with serial dot matrix printers.

papaof2

I have an ancient HP DeskJet 520 inkjet printer with serial and parallel interfaces. I have occasion to use it maybe once a year.

There's also an HP inkjet plotter that will take up to 36 inch wide paper. It has serial and parallel interfaces, but there's a NetGear parallel-network interface on that port. The plotter is available to any computer on the network. The plotter was a freebie - a restaurant had used it for printing menus and decided to move from black and white to color menus. Black and white works fine for big schematics :)

manie

Thanks to all for the replies ! It seems I will go with the small receipt printer types, using serial for comms. They are quite PRICY though !!!!