Post / Thread Rating

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Just above this there's a "Rate Thread" option ...

Code:
***** = Excellent
****  = Good
***   = Average
**    = Poor
*     = Terrible
Unless something is really bad or a reader is having a particularly bad hair day I cannot see that many Poor or Terrible ratings being handed out. As a result most posts that do get rated get an instant 5 star award.

Not knowing the rating scheme, but based on sticky-star awards at school, one would also expect a one star 'terrible' rated article to have been judged somewhat more favourably than one which hadn't been rated.

I can see how the rating would work for other types of forum but, here, would rating get used more often and be more useful if the default no star were 'Unrated / Presumed Average', one star is better than average up to 5 stars, 'I want to have your children' ?

Dippy

Does it get used? I've never even looked/noticed/cared. Perhaps it should do.

'I want to have your children'
- Which sense?:-
1. Microwaved, baked and served on a bed of Sage & Garlic.
2. Gary Glitter PDF File
3. Mother to extend the gene pool.

Edit|: I've just tried rating.... where does it appear?

Edit 2: Oh I've just spotted it.. doesn't get displayed on Quick Links/Today's Posts. Pretty pointless innit but I'm sure gives a little entertainment.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There's a one-star at the top -- My first. Yippee, one star ... oh wait ... :)

Dippy

Darn, I can't modify my rating, so if I accidentally rated it as 1 star when I meant 5 stars then I'm snookered.
And there aren't any ratings for 'cool' or 'awesome'... or even 'Nesbit'!

vk6bgn

…. as an example, would this be an acceptable Thread Star rating over on the 18 page PICAXE Controlled Variable Power Supply thread?

After 12 long hours at the salt mine, it’s now another boring Friday night in outback Australia. I rush home to read the latest PIXACE forum threads. Now with my feet up, dirty boots up on the computer desk, keyboard on my lap, the wife brings me a pint and 3 slices of Pizza. (No pub in town and only one restaurant.)

About 5 pages into this thread, the eyelids start getting heavy. Finally they close and the pint glass graciously slips from my hands. (glass already empty!)

Wife yells and I clean up the mess.

Somewhere around page 8 or 9 the eyes shut again and the last piece of Pizza crust falls to the floor. Unseen, I escape retribution! (I did pick it up, but I didn't eat it! Honest!)

It’s now page 12 or 13 and I fire up an after dinner cigarette. By page 16 the eyes shut again. The cigarette is still burning, up to and including my fingers! :(

(true story, but some what exaggerated)

5 Stars for subject and concept.
3 Stars for thread length.

…. so the 18 page PICAXE Controlled Variable Power Supply thread gets 4 Stars! ;)

Last edited:

ValueAdd

I for one have used the rating system a few times.

Being new at Picaxe and doing simple activities so far, there have been no problems, but I do appreciate the answers given by some members - can solve a problem before I knew there was one - if you get my drift.

Some answers I see seem a little short/blunt. A small number are seemingly curt or gruff but I suppose all forums have some such members.

I personally prefer the answer with a good explanation of how the code, command, or whatever, works. Those are the ones I give a good/excellent rating to.

I tend not to use the lower rating. As the guru's say, there is not such thing as a stupid question. But maybe some could so a little more searching of the forum of elsewhere for themselves