Piezo disk or sounder

RexLan

I have tried both and driving it directly from the Picaxe is is not very loud. Can someone recommend a small unit (part number and source) that will be pretty loud in an outside environment?

Thanks

Rickharris

One option is to drive the piezo from a higher voltage via a suitable driver ( e.g. transistor) another is to drive the Pizeo with a push pull cct. Another option is to go to a speaker. and perhaps a simple amp e.g. an LM 386.

Manual 3 page 10 refers

RexLan

Thanks ... I am real tight on space and was hoping to drive it directly but may have to use the source voltage and another transistor as you suggest.

manuka

Piezos of course are naturally high freq devices,so also explore altering the SOUND value to something more audible. Acoustic resonators may help too- a hollow tube etc.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I've found the piezos I've used to be annoyingly loud so it could be the piezo type.

Resonant frequency can play a great part so as manuka suggests try adjusting the SOUND or TUNE value ( or PWM frequency if using that ).

Bigger piezos seem to be louder than smaller ones and how they are mounted makes a difference. The ones I use are in a plastic circular case rather than bare piezo. You can gain a lot by taping a piezo to a flat surface with a hole cut for the sound to come out. Horns ( toilet roll or kitchen foil tubes ) can improve things but make the sound more directional.

Dippy

None are going to sound really loud outdoors without healthy driving and/or at resonance.

Rexlan doesn't say whether his t-ducers are in a resonant molded thing or just the thin flat disk things. It makes a HUGE difference.

As said above the enclosure will be at resonance and increases the volume around the centre frequency hugely.
Check places like Farnell and Digikey . Get the Data Sheets and you'll usually see a frequency response graph to show you best ranges of frequency to run them.

If you just want a single frequency warning peeper then spend the extra 50p for one with a driver.