PICaxe VSM Price...

Lakes

Does anyone else think £60 inc VAT is a bit high for home/hobby use?

I would happily pay £40 plus Vat for this software, maybe rev-ed could have a special one time offer for us home/hobbyist users?

Or at least make the demo software more functional, so you can simulate your own circuit without save and print?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I cannot personally comment on PICAXE VSM license pricing level and it's hard to say what is a reasonable or fair price for any licensed product and what demo functionality should be provided.

PICAXE VSM is a commercial product and includes a lot of capability and comparable license pricing for other microcontroller simulation can be found here -

http://www.labcenter.co.uk/ordering/cprices.cfm

The current licensing deal ( £49.99 +VAT ) is considerably better than the standard 20% saving offered to students for other microcontroller simulation.

tiscando

I think VSM is a piece of proper, professional software which has loads of simulateable models which have been carefully designed to match real-life.

dartec

I understand your point but I also have the full pro version which cost some £450 or so with various add-ons and £150 per year for updates. I tried a few other software for circuit simulation but found Labcenter to actual make sense and be workable straight away without the manual. For this reason it is excellent and worth the money. It is really easy to work and I have so far managed all my circuits and projects albeit I am no expert.

I also bought the PICAXE VSM because at £60 inc vat it is very cheap when you look at Labcenter pricing for additonal microcontrollers althought these packages cover more devices. Also you get all the functions, as far as I can tell, of the pro version for usual analog and didgital simulation.

So while I do understand in the context of home/hobby where people may only use the software a few hours a day or even a few days or so, it is very good value for money relatively speaking and I would even say absolutely in comparison to other software.

However, I would like to see all the PICAXE products simulated then fantastic price although I would probably pay extra if they do mean every PICAXE product/module/kit etc (and add them as soon as new product appears).