PICAXE toys

giuseppe

Hey all,

I was going through my bin of electronic parts and am going to sell some stuff on ebay. However, I figured before I go on and sell on there, I would let everyone here have first dibs. All prices in US dollars. First come first serve!

Here is what I got:

Deleted
Please see sentence 2 here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?7679-Read-Me-First!

If there are any new PICAXE members to the forum that are interested, I can give you example wiring diagram and code to get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrburnette

@Site Administrator:

I have previously called for an area of the forum where such activities could be pursued without members having fear of the RevEd web police coming to censor one's membership.

I find the policy very wishy-washy... some commercial activities seem to be permitted openly and the threads live on for months. A better, clearer, more member friendly policy is really needed in my opinion. @giusepee link to his eBay sale of PICAXE and electronic parts should be legitimate and in a forum where listings have a "sunset" and auto-delete... perhaps 30 days max and then they roll off into the digital bucket.

- Ray

SAborn

I fail to see how a member offering a few excess components for sale to other members can be of harm to anyone, or offencive to the forum.
To take action against such a posting is somewhat childish i think, as we all spend a lot of time to help others in many ways and to offer excess goods is also more than likely to help others.
I recall several senior members doing the same in the past without action against them.

I am too lazy to list my junk for sale, but am sure there would be many members that would love a bag of the excess junk i have, to start a component collection for odd jobs.

Time for a reality check i think and the forum Police to take and aspro and a little lie down. ( so often a little power goes to some peoples head)

techElder

Oh, come on, Ray and SAborn. How can you tell all that from what has been done? Good grief, give 'em some slack to run things the way they see them.

John West

It's Rev. Education's website, and all such decisions can, should, and I'm sure, will be made by them. From my experience, I think they do an admirable job of determining what to include and what to exclude.

mrburnette

All:

I'm calling for a new forum channel where we can do such things legitimately, without violation of the "No advertising..." clause referenced in @giusepee link. I do not know or care what was/was-not done/said - other than to suggest that hobbyists have a need to redistribute collections and that some redistributing amounts to little more than an equitable sale of a few parts/items/equipment. This is a common theme of forums such as HERE or
HERE

It's Rev. Education's website, and all such decisions can, should, and I'm sure, will be made by them. From my experience, I think they do an admirable job of determining what to include and what to exclude.
But without active, helpful, dedicated members then the site is little more than a place for Technical and Hippy to hang out... I personally do not think this is what RevEd wants or needs. Being flexible and evolving in a positive manner is good. Rigid and stagnant are not good.

The ownership of this forum is RevEd's but we, the members, make it what it is and I believe a community Buy/Sell/Trade component would be a good next-step...

- Ray

nick12ab

I wasn't going to say anything ... but it was eclectic who cut out the info in giuseppe's post (which was just a short price list, no eBay links and you can confirm this using Google's cached version), but some of the links to the specifications do link to the Parallax store pages rather than datasheets. And only months earlier, eclectic advertised Rapid's last column promotion! This hardly gives a good impression - it gives a bad impression of a two-tiered system where moderators are above everyone else. However this does seem to only be to do with eclectic and advertising and deleting others' posts.

It could be much worse though!

ADDED: Does eclectic run an automated bot? Giuseppe has pointed out below another thread where someone tried to sell obsolete PICAXEs at high prices and that thread still exists - possibly because it doesn't have links to Parallax's site.

And every time eclectic has used that 'Read me first' link, it's always left for the forum to parse which it does incorrectly, leaving off the exclamation mark at the end but it doesn't affect usability though as the forum software only needs the number in the URL. Speaking of which, many of his posts are just "<link here> <cr><lf><cr><lf> e." in an automated fashion. But to be fair, most of his posts are stuff written by himself rather than just a link.

Last edited:

bfgstew

All:

I'm calling for a new forum channel where we can do such things legitimately, without violation of the "No advertising..." clause referenced in @giusepee link. I do not know or care what was/was-not done/said - other than to suggest that hobbyists have a need to redistribute collections and that some redistributing amounts to little more than an equitable sale of a few parts/items/equipment. This is a common theme of forums such as HERE or
HERE

But without active, helpful, dedicated members then the site is little more than a place for Technical and Hippy to hang out... I personally do not think this is what RevEd wants or needs. Being flexible and evolving in a positive manner is good. Rigid and stagnant are not good.

The ownership of this forum is RevEd's but we, the members, make it what it is and I believe a community Buy/Sell/Trade component would be a good next-step...

- Ray
I agree with Ray, a section for the sale of unwanted / used / or any other item relating to electronic items can only be a good thing.
Nothing else, no links to external sites or sales, just members wanting to pass on their unwanted / unused items. Lord knows if you go through your own bits, I am sure there is a stack of stuff that we don't / will not use and someone, somewhere could.
Come on Rev - Ed, make a classified section, most other sites I belong to have such a thing, and is a good idea in this day and age of 'being green'.........?

giuseppe

Lol I was afraid this might happen. The only reason I went ahead with it was because I have seen other forum posts doing similar things. For example, I saw someone selling older version PICAXEs for too much money. I figured I would be "nice" and give Rev Ed forum members first dibs. I know how expensive some parts could be and I thought I was helping. Trust me I am making no profit!

And yes, there was no ebay listing link to it.

Yes, it may be a silly policy but it is Rev Eds forum so I will respect it and will cease these type

techElder

I've seen those "classified" sections devolve into a situation where "people" create an account here just to list their junk in the "classifieds."

I don't think RevEd would mind if someone created a post and just said they have a bunch of free stuff. "Send me a private message."

Oh well, not my call.

Jeremy Harris

Seems simple to me. The "no advertising" rule makes sense, in as much as Rev Ed clearly don't want to support adverts for competitive products. That can be the only reason, other than, perhaps, wanting to keep the forum free from distractions, for such a rule.

Common sense needs to be applied, though. If members of the forum want to pass on useful bits they have no further use for, and if doing so presents no commercial disadvantage to Rev Ed, then why on earth not allow a brief advert? It seems a bit crass to apply the rules in such a strait-laced way, especially in the current economic climate, where folk are looking to make their money go as far as possible.

Dippy

I tend to agree with JH but I respect Rev-Ed's conditions.

A certain PIC and compiler retailer in UK has a "Wanted and For Sale" section on their Forum and it appears to function happily.
It may also attract people to the Forum and may result in extra product sales.
And another one doesn't make a big deal over selling/listing odd items in their "General" section. But they will actively delete anyone taking the micky.

I'm sure something could be done... but only AFTER we have a Tutorial/PICAXEiki sorted.:eek:

Grogster

I was the guy selling the old 18X parts, but I would not go so far as to say that I was "Trying to sell obsolete parts at high prices" - this suggests I was intentially overcharging, or otherwise trying to put one over on people.

Let me assure all members here that I was not.

It was totally my own fault, that I did not check prices, rather, used my PREVIOUS supplier's price-list as a reference. If you read your way to the end of the thread linked to in post #7 here on this thread, you will have found that I discovered I was being overcharged big-time on my own parts, thus, when I offered them up, they seemed very expensive by other members.

...and they were.

PLEASE don't label me as dishonest or otherwise unethical. :(

SAborn

No advertising is rather common on forums, but to me it is in reference to those who try to flog their business or are "producing" a item for sale, like several have done with circuit boards, or a book on picaxe etc, and these adds were not removed.

Part of the task of a moderator is to use his human brain and make judgment of situations and not just apply a one standard fits all approach, if the member making the add was a first time poster than perhaps remove the add, but older members dont do things to upset the forum for lack of reason.

A simple warning added to the post of "this is close to breaking the forums no advertising rule, but will allow it this time" would indicate these activities are being watched and care should be taken.

Most forums have a "Forum Policeman" who takes his duties a little too serious and takes action where a simple warning was all that was required.

As for knowing your friends..........well you show me one cop on duty with friends??

giuseppe

I was the guy selling the old 18X parts, but I would not go so far as to say that I was "Trying to sell obsolete parts at high prices" - this suggests I was intentially overcharging, or otherwise trying to put one over on people.

Let me assure all members here that I was not.

It was totally my own fault, that I did not check prices, rather, used my PREVIOUS supplier's price-list as a reference. If you read your way to the end of the thread linked to in post #7 here on this thread, you will have found that I discovered I was being overcharged big-time on my own parts, thus, when I offered them up, they seemed very expensive by other members.

...and they were.

PLEASE don't label me as dishonest or otherwise unethical. :(
Don't worry, we still love you :)