Picaxe Maze Solver

jrybak

I am looking for suggestions concerning building a Picaxe maze soving robot. I would start with a Picaxe Micromouse but that kit isn't sold in North America, at least not as far as I can determine.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Jim in Grand Junction, CO USA

eclectic

Last edited:

ltj2006

The Micromouse Kit is quite impressive, indeed!

I have a 18 Pin High Power Project Board and want to build a maze solving robot.
I studied the manual from the Micromouse Kit (
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/KIT110.pdf) and can't find any hints, want kind of ir-sensors and ir-diodes are using. In the picture on page 8 it does not seem to be a TSOP18..

Basic code for testing should be on page 11. My first attemp to adapt it to an 18x ist this:

Code:
' Infrarot - Ausgabe an PICAXE 18X
' 2009-10-17 - Jens Stolze
' Checkroutine fuer Abstandssensor an PICAXE

setfreq m8
pwmout 3, 25, 52 ' better?
'pwmout 3,255,0

do
	high 3
	debug b0
	readadc 0,b0
	low 3
	pause 20	
loop
Any hints?

cu, Jens in Hamburg, Germany

Last edited:

slurp

For those that are interested in mice and maze solving, the ROBOtic event is Saturday 28th Nov 2009 at Millennium Point in Birmingham.

You'll usually see these picaxe based mice making outing there too, it's usually a great venue and an excellent place to discuss ideas and problems with your mouse.

regards,
Colin

http://www.tic.ac.uk/micromouse/index.asp

Last edited:

vttom

I'm curious about these maze-solving competitions....

Do the mice merely navigate the maze with some kind of algorithm that allows them to explore all possible paths until it happens to hit the exit?

Or do they map out the maze, and then run some kind of virtual maze-solver and once it comes up with a solution navigates the shortest path from its current location to the exit?

bgrabowski

Many use variations on the flood-fill algorithm. On their first run they explore and record the maze layouts. They then calculate the shortest path to the centre. On subsequent runs they try to get from the start to the centre of the maze as quickly as possible.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's an apparently simple task but quite challenging in practice and brings together / requires knowledge of a number of disciplines.

To map the maze one has to know where one is, where one's been, what one can 'see', map the maze and navigate around it to find enough about the maze to complete it with an optimal route. Then there's the challenge of following that optimal route in the fastest time.

The nice thing about it is that it lends itself well to incremental development and improvement so is a hobby for all levels of experience. Creating a micromouse is a learning experience and, because of its nature, well suited to team work and can draw in people with experiences in a number of areas. I can see the appeal and can understand why people get hooked on it; this tweak here, that tweak there and the mouse evolves into something better. Just thinking, 'but if it did this ...' can be enough to want to get involved !