PICAXE Editor 6.0.6.2 now available for download

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Try the full path in the COM1 symbolic link

ln -s /dev/tty.usbserial-403314FA
/Users/tmfkam/Applications/Wineskin/PicAXE6.app/Contents/Resources/dosdevices/com1

Not sure if case - com1 or COM1 - makes any difference?

Last edited:

bpowell

One other item ... I added myself to the "dialout" usergroup...this gives my user account access to the serial-port...is it possible you need to add yourself to such a group on the MAC?

sudo adduser *my user name* dialout

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It's 'wheel' rather than 'dialout' on OS X, this has already been tried.

If the symbolic link is there, try adding
#COM 1
at the top of your PICAXE program and try programming anyway.

This directive will over-rule whatever the setting in the workspace explorer is anyway. Worth a try!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Mac's usually also have two link entries for the AXE027, like

/dev/tty.usbserial-403314FA
/dev/cu.usbserial-403314FA

So it's worth trying the other one as well:

cd /Users/tmfkam/Applications/Wineskin/PicAXE6.app/Contents/Resources/dosdevices/
ln -s /dev/cu.usbserial-403314FA com1

tmfkam

Mac's usually also have two link entries for the AXE027, like

/dev/tty.usbserial-403314FA
/dev/cu.usbserial-403314FA

So it's worth trying the other one as well:

cd /Users/tmfkam/Applications/Wineskin/PicAXE6.app/Contents/Resources/dosdevices/
ln -s /dev/cu.usbserial-403314FA com1

I had tried both but with no apparent success.

What I hadn't tried was the #COM 1 directive. I had assumed that as I wasn't able to 'see' the com port in the workspace options nor was I able to use these option settings to load the com port, the com port wasn't there. On actually trying a download, the com port was located and the device programmed as expected. Turns out I'd managed to get the serial port working and connected after all!

Almost none of the Workspace options work at all though, those that do 'work' generally don't give the desired results. Checking the connected PicAxe device for example returns an error stating 'Error: Can't open port Com5'.

Still, I am now able to use the editor and both program and simulate from within one application.

Many thanks to all those kind people who pointed me in the right direction.

bpowell

I'm glad to hear you're up and running...can you tell me some of the workspace options that aren't working for you? I haven't tested this out much...

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We've added a bug ticket to allow Wine users to add their own port name manually, so that, for instance, you can add /dev/tty.usbserial-403314FA yourself as a target port name to the COM port drop down list. That will then work for everything, including firmware check etc.

bpowell

We've added a bug ticket to allow Wine users to add their own port name manually, so that, for instance, you can add /dev/tty.usbserial-403314FA yourself as a target port name to the COM port drop down list. That will then work for everything, including firmware check etc.
As always, you guys rock!

tmfkam

I'm glad to hear you're up and running...can you tell me some of the workspace options that aren't working for you? I haven't tested this out much...
These are all related to the com port settings, so that is probably the reason they don't work:
Check PICAXE type connected. (Returns 'Error: Can't open port Com5')
Drop down combo box for com ports.
Refresh com ports.
Configure and test.
The dialog is started but again, some options don't work at all.
Refresh list
Test download cable (starts the wizard but you can't select the com port due to the list being empty)
Device Manager
Buy Axe027 does work.
Axe027 Driver installation instructions.
Axe027 Advanced settings.
Open Axe027 Driver folder does work.
The remaining options here appear to work.
Device manager.
The other options in the Workspace explorer (not com port related) appear to work as expected.

geoff07

Attempted installation of PE6 under WINE on a Linux machine (which for most is likely to have a 64bit architecture). This example was done on Ubuntu 14.04 on a Lenovo Edge laptop, the versions were WINE:1.6.2 and WINETRICKS:20140302. Efforts on earlier versions on other computers did not succeed. With thanks to bpowell, who wrote the first version, to which I have added. I hope this is of use to some. Running PE6 under WINE would be a major step forward, and mean that PE could be run on hardware with no costly software licenses at all (think of all those with xp licenses that are considering Windows 8.1).

Unfortunately, this process did not run to conclusion for me but did get dotnet35sp1 installed. More remains to be done to get a version of PE working.

• WINE HQ has information that might help.
  • I suggest you make sure you have the latest OS version and updates and the latest non-beta version of WINE, NOT the one in the distro unless that is very recent.
  • 64bit WINE is not complete so you must force a 32-bit architecture prefix. Prefix your commands with: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/
  • Everything is done as a user, not as ROOT.
  • Don't use the WINETRICKS GUI, which is confusing, except perhaps afterwards to see what got installed, and did not work for me.
  • You will see many error messages along the way, just ignore them! They will not help, mostly they seem to refer to incomplete functions in WINE.

In a terminal window:

1 CREATE THE WINE INSTANCE
-----------------------------------
Install a recent WINE and WINETRICKS version. From your home directory prompt, start by creating the folders for a new 32bit Wine "instance" on your linux machine in the win32 directory. This creates a win32 directory within your home directory and populates it with a 32-bit system:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ winecfg

2 install dotnet35sp1
-----------------------
Run

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ winetricks msxml3 dotnet35sp1

which will also install a bunch of other versions and other things. This will take quite some time and many scripts will be run, windows pop up, files be downloaded (you must have a decent internet connection as you will download many hundreds of megabytes), and several WINE restarts will be required that you will be asked to OK. If it all goes horribly wrong, start again with a clean WINEPREFIX installation, otherwise it may get in a muddle.

3 Verify the dotnet installation
---------------------------------
Download the verification utility from:

blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Extract into a folder, and run the executable under WINE

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ wine ~/Downloads/netfx/netfx_setupverifier.exe

select the dotnet35sp1 option, and run it. Hopefully the tests will be passed.

4 Install gdi+
--------------
Download gdi+ from Microsoft, and install thus:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ wine ~/Downloads/WindowsXP-KB975337-x86-ENU.exe

So far, so good. But then ...

5 install the PE6 editor
-----------------------
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ wine PICAXEEditor6.exe

This ran and then started PE6. In my case this then failed and went into an error reporting loop about threading models. I then had to restart Ubuntu to kill that loop, as kill and pkill did not do it. I then reran the installer, which seemed to work and this time did not launch PE6.

Then I created a launcher with this command:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ wine ~/win32/drive_c/Program Files/Revolution Education/PICAXE/pe6.exe

This then failed with a message 'Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Diagram.MeasureUnitsConverter' threw an exception. So far, this is a showstopper for me.

6 Install the PE5 editor
------------------------

If PE6 won't work, then maybe PE5 will. Sadly, not for me this time. I encountered the wave32.ocx/ mfc40.dll/ vcredist_86.exe error and no amount of file copying and regediting did the trick.

7 Next steps
------------

Further research and work on the PE issues. The PE5 issue is allegedly solved, but not for me. The PE6 issue has been mentioned but I need to do more research on what that is about.

Any input that moves this on is welcome! I can't believe this is a hard problem to solve, for either version, once the appropriate knowledge is available. My aim is a reliable script that steers the whole process and 'just works'. What could possibly go wrong?

tmfkam

I have to say that I did use the WineTricks GUI on my iMac, and following the advice of bpowell regarding GDI+ it worked reasonably well, and first time too (after my initial failure due to not installing GDI+). Certainly well enough to use if nothing else was available. It has some issues but ran for me and simulated the LCD display that I wanted to use in my project. I'm not good with the terminal and steer clear of it where possible. Coward!

tmfkam

Just to say I've this minute installed version 6.0.6.4 into my WineSkin and am happy to report that I can now manually set the COM Port to my AXE027 USB device (/dev/tty.usbserial-403314FA) which does, as Technical promised, allow the COM Port tests to work as expected.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This then failed with a message 'Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Diagram.MeasureUnitsConverter' threw an exception. So far, this is a showstopper for me.
This does imply an issue with gdiplus, as what this is basically doing is converting inches/mm into screen pixels based upon the current DPI.