PICAXE-28X2 Shield Base Power Supply

rmtucker

Would it be safe to replace the 5v Regulator with an lm2937et-5.0 and replace the 2 caps with .1uf and 10uf as per the lm2937 Datasheet?.
I want to use it in an automotive application (Nothing Critical so no need to start a discussion about Safety etc).
But i also don't wish to blow it up.

SAborn

It looks to be pin for pin the same, so see no reason why it would not work fine.

Data sheet here......
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS011280.PDF

Edit.... Where do this "Shield " naming come from??? its a "Shield" to what?? its a circuit i thought, i dont understand where the shield fits in here.
I know its an Ardunio term, but its a stupid term i think, and besides this is Picaxe not Arduino, where we use soldering irons to fight electronic battles and not shields to protect us from electronics.

Last edited:

Paix

And I thought that it was just me that was confused by the term. It's a bit like Object Oriented Programming when they took away our procedures, sub routines and functions and gave them new names which screwed around with the brain a bit.

I get the impression that Shield is a name given to a piggy back circuit board, designed to appeal to kids that were brought up on a diet of Ninja Turtles and other cartoon super heros.

I'm all for new technology, but inventing new words for the purpose of marketing

Marketing: that's where it all started I guess. Just look what it did to Manuka honey. Feed to pigs on day one; marketing guys spin it up and coin UMF, Unique Manuka Factor and flog it by the metric tonne at outrageous prices to the rest of the world, who lap it up because it's good for them, despite the medicinal taste!

I believe in PICAXE and circuit boards and there is nothing wrong with the concept of piggy backing either. :)

inglewoodpete

Where do this "Shield " naming come from??? its a "Shield" to what?? its a circuit i thought, i dont understand where the shield fits in here.
I know its an Ardunio term, but its a stupid term i think, and besides this is Picaxe not Arduino, where we use soldering irons to fight electronic battles and not shields to protect us from electronics.
SAb, I'm not sure if you thoughts are tongue-in-cheek or not. If you are not familiar with the AXE-401 PICAXE shield host, many of the Arduino shield boards (genuine and aftermarket) are also compatible with the AXE-401. This offers a range of easy-to-interface hardware accessories for the PICAXE. I have used the PICAXE shield on several projects.

SAborn

IWP, I have used many circuits that claim to be a shield, ordered them and on delivery all i received was a circuit board, the only shield included was the bubble wrap packaging, no post war armour, or no riort protection.

Its the expression of naming a circuit board a Shield that i question? How do a naming of Shield remotely fit into the application of a circuit using a few components mounted on a board.

It just seems a dumb title, and sad to see the naming adopted as standard for circuit board.

inglewoodpete

Oh I understand now;)

The internet and other recent technologies have caused a lot of discomfort with our use of language.

One often used on this forum that I chuckle about are the [rant][/rant] tags:):)

Eg. [rant]Don't get me started on RJ12 vs 6P6C connectors etc etc.[/rant]

rmtucker

Ok i have purchased the 28x2 shield base kit.(Even though the thread seemed to go off topic?,I think my initial question was answered.)
I am a complete numbty when it comes to these things so please ignore my ignorance.
The datasheet for the lm2937et - 5.0 shows a cap on the input of 0.1 uf and a cap on the output of 10uf Minimum.
I summize i can use the 22uf Cap that comes with the shield kit on the output side,but can i use the 22uf cap on the input side.?,or does it need to be 0.1uf?
And would it help the circuit by placing a varistor across the power supply input,If so what size?

JimPerry

You can put a 22uF on the input - but the job of a 0.1uF is to cut high frequency noise, so is still needed :)

Varistor is overkill.