PICAXE 28 "Shield"

Mycroft2152

As a user of both PICAXE and Arduino micros, one of the things I like about the Arduino system is the "shields".

The shields are stackable add-on boards for the basic Arduino. Shields come in many flavors, containing simple prototyping areas to motor drivers to Xbee modules.

The shields allow attaching other circuits without directly soldering to the main board.

Shields work for the Arduino because there is a standardized form factor

Unfortuantely for PICAXE users there is no standard board, well sort of...

The AXE020 board seems to be a defacto standard for building robots. I had some time on a dreary rainy afternoon, So I decided to sketch out a couple of possible PICAXE 28 prototyping shields, that would stack on the AXE020.

I generally do not use commercial boards, they tend to be expensive, are the wrong shape or have too many functions or not enough. I am one of those guys who actually does make their own pcbs. It is not really that difficult and after you've done a few it is second nature. I use DIPTRACE (surprise, surprise) to draw out the schematic or pcb and then use Toner Tranfer to add the resist then etch and drill. There are a lot of good sites explaining the TT process, so a quick GOOGLE will give you the step by step procedure.

Back to the PICAXE Protoshield, here are a couple of ideas. The control signals are brought up onto the stackable PICAXE protoshield, along with a reset switch and a power LED and a grid of holes is left for the user.

To use the non-inverted outputs of the PICAXE28, the darlington driver on the AXE020 is replaced with a 330 ohm resistor pack (similar what is done on the AXE030 Servo Expansion pack).

I'm thinking of also adding a 5 volt regulator to the protoshield.

Note: these are only rough sketches and not ready for etching. I'll post the DIPTRACE file when completed.

Myc

Attachments

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

What if the regulator could be replaced by a 3.3V regulator to support the new 3V parts?
SS,

Sure, why not.

I posted some intial sketches and was hoping for feedback.

I was going to add the footprint for the regulator and a few caps. which voltage is your choice.

It will take away some of the prototyping space, but is probably worth it. It is easy to make a "stretch" version for special applications.

Once I post the DIPTRACE files, you can modify it to "your hearts content".

Myc

Dippy

Neat idea Myc.

Do the Arduino marketing men really get paid oodles for thinking up such pretentious product names ? :)

Genuine question:
How does it connect to AXE020?
Does it just plonk on top?
Do you have downward facing 0.1" header sockets?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to post a high-ish res artwork jpg for those poor souls (like me) who don't use diptrace?

Mycroft2152

Neat idea Myc.

Do the Arduino marketing men really get paid oodles for thinking up such pretentious product names ? :)

Genuine question:
How does it connect to AXE020?
Does it just plonk on top?
Do you have downward facing 0.1" header sockets?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to post a high-ish res artwork jpg for those poor souls (like me) who don't use diptrace?
Dippy,

1. Absolutely no idea.

2. Plugs onto top

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. Poor sod, learn DIPTRACE, seriously I'll post a pdf version or any other flavor you would like.

My question: any changes / additions?

Myc

manie

Dippy & Myc:
If you e-mail me your diptrace files for the layout I can export a Gerber file for Dippy. I run Diptrace Lite.

Mycroft2152

Dippy & Myc:

If you e-mail me your diptrace files for the layout I can export a Gerber file for Dippy. I run Diptrace Lite.
Manie,

Thanks for the offer. Let's see what Dippy needs.

Note:

The easiest way for creating artwork for homebrewing pcbs is to print directly from DIPTRACE using print preview. This gives an exact size printout of the pcb. You also have the controls on exactly what to print and how.

If you are going to email or post pcb artwork, create a pdf. There are some free pdf makers on the web.

PDF is the only format that will keep the exact size. BMPs and JPGs are dependant on the dpi and will be stretched or shrunk.

Myc