picaxe 20M and others

rigidigital

I had no trouble setting up 08M's on bread boards.

The more powerful picaxe kits came with more electronic compoments., some of which I had no idea of thir purpose.

Can I buy just the chips such as the 20M and more powerful chips and set them up on bread boards wiyhout buying the kits ?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
For breadboard work a minimum, non-programmable PICAXE circuit can be two power leads and two wire jumpers ( Serial In to 0V leg, Reset to +V leg if required ) plus whatever you need to show it's working or doing something.

It's not much harder to add the 10K/22K download resistors ( the 10K can be left off if permanently connected to the serial cable ) and a 4K7 for Reset rather than a link.

slimplynth

with the exception of the 18M/18X you can't do a straight swap for an M class with an X class - Apologies if it's stating the obvious, from your post above it wasn't clear to me if you were planning on popping a larger picaxe in without altering the power and download connection

rigidigital

Memory for the 20M

Thank you all for your replies. I am travelling so have not done any thing for awhile except get the chip sent to my address.

One more question, can you add a memory chip to the 20M ?

Thanks,

Mike.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I2C can be bit-banged in software but that takes up a good chunk of the program memory. Best choice for using external I2C chips is 18X, X1's or X2's.