picaxe 18m2 + max6953 12c Help

andrefcarvalho

good,

I am using max 6953 and communicates with it already got between 18m2 and the PICAXE chips, but I'm using a 16-segment display and not give a matrix like to know if each individual exit links (O0, O1, O2, etc.) thanks for your help: D

Last edited by a moderator:

westaust55

Hello andrefcarvalho.

can you post:
1. some links to your components - saved others having to search for what you already know
2. your PICAXE program as it presently stands for folks here to check where the problem is.

I guess this is the MAX6953 datasheet:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/maxim/MAX6953.pdf

Also, what is the revision of your 18M2 chip? Check with the Programming Editor using Options and click on the Check Firmware button

andrefcarvalho

I can create letters / numbers in a 5x7 array to control the display but I have had to have access to each output individually and i dont know how to do it

The firmware version is 2.B, why questions the version?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
From looking at how the four 7x5 LED displays connect, the MAX6953 appears to drive those as a 14 x 10 LED matrix, so it should be possible to drive a 14-segment common anode display or a 10-segment common cathode display maximum.

It looks like a 16-segment display will only work if it is two sets of 8-segment or similar.

andrefcarvalho

therefore

but this would have to get on and off each outlet of mas6953 and do not know how

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
therefore

but this would have to get on and off each outlet of mas6953 and do not know how
Nor do I as I've not studied the datasheet nor have the hardware. I imagine it would be possible to program the programmable character RAM within the chip to create the pattern needed for the segments you are controlling but I haven't really investigated that.

So you really have two questions which need answering -

1) Can your LED hardware be controlled by the chip ?

2) Can the chip be controlled to make the LED hardware display what you want ?

andrefcarvalho

for the record I'm Portuguese and I'm using a translator for my writing and reading here in the forum,
for code and other things about the project, I will go for the info as soon as possible, because I had little time to come here.

Greetings

westaust55

The firmware version is 2.B, why question the version?
From a quick initial look at the MAX6953 chip I saw that the command byte/address had bits D8 to D15 identified.
There is a bug in the firmware for the first version 2.A) of the 18M2 with respect to 2-byte addressing mode, but since you have the second version (2.B) of the 18M2 firmware and on closer reading of the datasheet this is now irrelevant.

westaust55

The MAX6953 is intended to drive up two four 5x7 LED displays in a form of multiplexing. By the standard use the MAX6953 has an inbuilt font that accepts an ASCII character code and displays the equivalent character at one of the 5x7 maxtrix positions.

The following is some basic program code for a PICAXE (posted by another forum member previously) that demonstrates this:

Code:
i2cslave %10100000,i2cslow,i2cbyte ;set the slave address, i2cspeed, etc

start:
writei2c ($04,%00000001) ;write to the configuration register ($04) and change the last bit for normal operation
writei2c ($60,"E") ;write to digit 0 ($60) the letter E
writei2c ($01,$0F) ;change the brightness to full on that digit ($01 intensity register)($0F full brightness)
The MAX6953 does have 24 user definable characters in the 5x7 matrix formation and it may be possible to use those to drive the conventional 16 segment LED displays. However it will take some effort to ascertain if this can really be achieved.