picaxe 18 x

bulltalk.65

Hello all,

I'm new here although I've been skating around and reading for a time. I have the 18x board with the axeo27 cable and software loaded..
if I have posted this in the wrong place I apologise, maybe the moderator can place it correctly.

alittle about me first, I'm 43 and a high school education, have no (none) previous experience with electronics or microcontrollers other than what I have become interested in over the last 10 months. I am a member of another site and its theme is trailcameras and that is where my interest has come from.

there are a few who have decided to do this for our own purposes and I happen to be one of them.

my problem is, or maybe I should clarify something first. I am under the impression that you may use any picaxe chip with your program board as long as it is equivalent to or smaller than what I have, mine is the 18X but I want to load a program to a 08m on my 18x board. if I mis interpreted what I read, then I guess I better start over again.
the main problem is I can syntax check and even run a simulation on my editor but it won't let me load the program to the chip, I'll post a pic of the window that continues to pop up no matter what I change in my system (port wise) or whatever I try it always says the same thing. all updates have been installed including the drivers.
Any help with this would be very much appreciated, I'm a rookie so be easy on me, I just bought my first computer last christmas...
here's a pic;

George

Attachments

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You've misinterpreted slghtly; simpler / more complex chips of the same size can be used in a particular board, so a board which supports 18-pin PICAXE's can be used with a PICAXE-18, 18A or 18X.

To use an 08 or 08M you need a board which supports 8-pin chips. It will also work in a board for the 14M or 20M, but not in an 18-pin board.

bulltalk.65

thanks for explaining that a little more clearly. I kinda thought I had mis-read that or mis-understood that in the manuals.

but I still have the other issue of nothing down loading to the chip, even if I install an 18x and convert the code it won't load and the picture from above is still the window that pops up everytime....

I'm at a loss here and don't know what to do or where to go for help with this.

again thanks,

George

Mycroft2152

George,

The reason that the 08M, 14M and 20M can be programmed with a 20 pin board is that the power pins and the 2 programming pins (serial in and serial out) are n the same legs on the chips.

On the 18X these pins pins are in different legs.

Check the Manual #1 page 6 for the pinouts.

The most versatile programming board is the bread board. A couple of resistors and a stereo jack is all you need.

Myc

westaust55

the main problem is I can syntax check and even run a simulation on my editor but it won't let me load the program to the chip, I'll post a pic of the window that continues to pop up
but I still have the other issue of nothing down loading to the chip, even if I install an 18x and convert the code it won't load and the picture from above is still the window that pops up everytime....

If you cannot download your program you also need to check the Programming Editor is set to the same comm port that the AXE027 cable is using.

To check the AXE027 comm port go to (in MS Windows and assuming you are using Windows):

Start/ Control Panel/ System / Hardware / Device Manager /
then open Ports (Com & Lpt). There will be a listing for AXE027. Take on note of the "Com number".

The in the Programming Editor check from the tool bar using the path:

View / Options / Serial Port

and make sure the correct Com Port is selected.

Note that if you ever start the Programming Editor without the AXE027 cable connected, it will not find the AXE027 and resets the Com port to COM 1.
In this case you will need to select the correct COm Port again as above.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Are you sure your AXE027 is on COM1, this would be unusual....

View>Options>Port menu in the Programming Editor
Click the 'Setup' button to start Device Manager
Click + beside 'COM & LPT' to look for the AXE027 port setting.
Make sure this is COM1 - it may be something else (e.g. COM6). if so change to the correct one that under the View>Options>Port tab (you may need to click refresh).

Hey George, I'm sorry I can't be of any use to you right now, I have only used the 08M, and I'm using the serial port on my old computer. These guys are as good as gold though, and I'm sure they will get you going in no time. You will find kids in the 5th grade using the Picaxe, and there are people on here that make their living with stuff like this too. Have a little patience...do not give up...you will get it going before long, and the sky is the limit on what you can make theses things do for you.

bulltalk.65

Thanks guys for all the help, and thanks Chris (212) for getting me started in this. it is fun trying to learn something new after doing the same thing for 25 years.
I will work on this some more later on. I think I need a break for a few days and come back fresh. its alot of information for an old guy that has no smarts about this stuff. but am surely enjoying the new hobby.
I'll let you all know what happens, if I can get it working or not.

again, thank you all.
George