picaxe 18 tutorial board circuit

deneve

Hi

I'm working through the tutorial axe050 using the picaxe 18 tutorial board and trying to understand what the code is doing. However there seems to be no circuit diagram for the board so it is difficult to figure out what the code is doing in terms of picaxe pins and connected hardware on the board. It would be so much easier if there was a diagram. I've hunted around and searched the forum but can't seem to find anything. Is there a circuit diagram in the data sheets for this board? Maybe I'm missing something obvious!
Surely there must be?

many thanks in anticipation.

deneve

Last edited:

BCJKiwi

Not sure which board you have but from the programming editor, help, there is a section of "picaxe xxxx datasheets". Most of the board circuit diagrams are included in one or more of these sheets.

Pinouts and many sub-circuits are included in Manual1 and 3.

Last edited:

deneve

Hi BCJKiwi

If you look at the axe 050 tutorial pdf it mentions other circuit boards but specifically states on page 4 which board the tutorial is for. It has a seven seg display, another chip (ULN2003A W992FOO18) - don't know what this does? - a conection pair of holes for piezo buzzer, input and outputs etc and gives diagrams of how to connect solar motor etc, but no underlying circuit diagram to help explain what the code is doing. You need to be able to relate the code to pic o/p behaviour and seven segment display connections to understand how it is being driven. Also what the other chip is doing. Otherwise it's down to tracing out the circuit. The seven seg display has a dec point on it too which is not shown in some of the tutorial diagrams yet on p6 of the axe050 tutorial this dec pnt is highlighted as a means of checking the download of a simple program.

Grateful for any help with this

deneve

BCJKiwi

Well I don't have an AXE050 nor do I have any pdf for it in my Programming Editor installation - which PICAXE 18 tutorial board is it? - The board should be marked. When you find the actual board (not the tutorial) then you should be able to find the details for it as advised in post #2

Manual3 Page 6 discusses the ULN2003A, as suggested in post #2

Rickharris

As far as I can see there isn't a circuit diagram - I guess because this is a bought as is PCb they don't see the necessity for the circuit diagram - Schools are not going to alter this PCB just use it.

HOwever by looking through the tutorial i conclude the following:

Some of the inputs and outputs are numbered on the side of the PCB. These can be used to drive other items like motors or buzzers. the in/outs can be used for switches or analogue devices like LDRs.

other Outputs:
7=Decimal point
1=buzzer
0=Motor +
6=Piezo sounder (sound command)
outputs 0 to 6 drive the 7 segment display - setting these to high will turn a segment of the display on - best way to find out which one is to try it and make a note.

Normally you might used a 7 seg decoder IC to sort out these connections and minimise the number of outputs used but here the 18 drives the 7 segment display directly.

I hope this helps. - I am not sure a circuit diagram would be much n=better but am willing to provide at least an outline diagram if you want.

Last edited:

deneve

Hi BCJKiwi

I do have a tutorial named axe 050 - it's calledpcb 101126 (c) 2001 also ctr21k 05-11
and the tutorial is based on it - and I can't find details on it.

many thanks though for trying

deneve

deneve

Hi Rickharris

I am based in Lincolnshire too. Good to hear from you and that you have located the mystery axe 050.pdf

Yes I see what you mean now - I guess I bought the wrong board really - it's probably too much of an introductory piece but it will get me into the language and your comments have been really helpful. I want to make a clear cct diagram of the board because I want to study all the connections between darlington drivers and picaxe to relate the way the pins are programmed to get to each output device in particular (e.g. I want to relate picaxe pin to output pin via darlington drive ). If there really isn't a cct diagram I can just trace one out myself but I just thought that there would be one - to save us time - especially for a for a tutorial board??? The manuals don't cover the direct driving of the Kingbright sc56-11hmr seven segment display (fitted on the board) and neither does david Lincoln in his book about picaxe - he does go on to explain more appropriate means of driving these displays though.

Thank you so much for your help

deneve

BCJKiwi

After hunting around on REV-Eds site, found the AXE050 PDF.

It shows (on page 4) three different boards.
Boards 2 and 3 are fully detailed via the programming editor help
picaxe-18 datasheet
Picaxe-18 project boards (CHI030/035)
this includes applications, connections and circuit diagrams.

If you have the first board (with the 7Seg Display) then it is covered in some detail in the tutorial (AXE050) which appears to be the same as the pixaxe-18 tutorial in the programming editor Help (which shows it as AXE002). This does not however include an actual circuit diagram of the board.

So I guess the tutorial is as good as you will get.
You could combine this with data from the other boards, and manuals 1,2 & 3 to sort out what the programs are doing & which pins/legs connect to what.