PIC Programmer Wanted!

Hey,

I'm looking for a programmer who is able to program PIC microcontrollers for Xbox 360 rapid fire. I am willing to pay a reasonable price to purchase the code, however I am on a tight budget.

I need someone who is able to program a PIC to have 10 modes of rapid fire as follows:

1. Full Rapid - Fastest Setting (For Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3)
2. Full Rapid - Extremely Fast
3. Full Rapid - Very, Very, Fast (Fastest speed for Call of Duty 5 that is undetectable)
4. Full Rapid - Very Fast
5. Full Rapid - Fast
6. Burst Fire - Fastest 3 Round Burst Setting (Works on Call of Duty 5 and 4)
7. Burst Fire - Extremely fast 3 Round Burst Setting
8. Burst Fire - Very, Very, Fast 3 Round Burst Setting
9. Burst Fire - Very Fast 3 Round Burst Setting
10. Burst Fire - Fast 3 Round Burst Setting

The chip will be wired to a button. Holding the button will turn rapid fire on, and also change modes. For every second the button is held, the mode will change and the fourth player LED will flash once for each second/mode, and then return to a solid LED light when the button is released.

So if you hold the button for:

1 seconds - Flashes once - LED remains on - Mode 1 - (1 total flashes)
2 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 2 - (2 total flashes)
3 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 3 - (3 total flashes)
4 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 4 - (4 total flashes)
5 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 5 - (5 total flashes)
6 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 6 - (6 total flashes)
7 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 7 - (7 total flashes)
8 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 8 - (8 total flashes)
9 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 9 - (9 total flashes)
10 seconds - Flashes once again - LED remains on - Mode 10 - (10 total flashes)

I want the chip to be wired to the right trigger, and to the left trigger. Each will be wired to a separate button so that the mode can be chosen for each trigger individually. The right trigger will be wired to the 4th player LED, and the left trigger will be wired to the 3rd player LED. If you are in a mode and you want to change modes, the process will be reset and you must hold the button for the same number of seconds as the mode you want to enter. For example if you are in mode 3 and you want to go to mode 7, you must hold the button down for 7 seconds.

If possible, I want it so you can turn rapid fire off by tapping the button 3 times, putting the chip in a sleeping state so that when you tap the button again twice, it will turn back on and be in the mode you left it in.

Is there anyone here who is able to keep in contact via msn or email who can program this code for me? Remember I am willing to pay a reasonable price (which will be discussed).

Please get back to me.

Thanks!

Dippy

There are a number of people here who are PIC writers and have the ability to programme PICs.

But is none of the PICAXE code written here over the years of any use?

OR

Aren't there any pre-programmed little PICs out there that can do the job?

Quantity?

Do you pay in advance or will the cheque be in the post?

I did search but I couldn't find any code that suited the job at hand.

There probably are pre-programmed chips out there but I want to produce these in large numbers, so I want to be able to have the code and a programming dock (USB preferably) and then put the code on the chips myself.

Once a price is discussed and decided, and the code programmed, I will ask for a demo on Xbox LIVE or a video demo and then I will pay via PayPal.

I would like to keep the price as low as possible though, as I am on a tight budget. :)

Or if anyone could link me to burst fire code and rapid fire code that adjusts to suit the controller and does all the stuff I want that would be useful to :D

womai

You just got to love the way the speed grades are specified:

Fast - Very Fast - Very, Very, Fast - Extremely fast - Fastest

(note that there isn't any "moderate", "normal" or "slow" setting).

Maybe it's just the engineer in me, but I could work better with numbers - like "fast" = 5 shots/sec and so on. I'm just not sure how to tell my lowly PIC "please switch this input very, very fast" in Picaxe Basic ;)

BTW, no offense intended and I hope you get your chips programmed!

Wolfgang

womai

Just a suggestion - if you want to minimize your upfront cost you could offer a percentage of any sales revenue (i.e. a royalty) instead of a fixed price. I.e. developer keeps the code and delivers parts on demand, charging a per-part cost (= cost of the raw chip + some agreed-on markup to pay for development, programming etc.). Otherwise you may not get any takers - at least I for myself would be reluctant to spend time and effort for cheap while at the same time you plan to sell "large numbers" of those chips - sounds a bit like being taken advantage of. Keep in mind that what you are asking is not just program development, but also hardware modification on the developer's unit, live demo and/or video recording, etc. Such full service custom jobs tend to come at a price.

Wolfgang

Last edited:

Andrew Cowan

This doesn't sound too complex.

However, I am not willing to do it. I think that you should. It'll take you a few hours, but it will save you money paying for a programmer, and also be more rewarding (and more what you want).

There are lots of examples of xbox code all over the web and this forum. TO detect how long the button is pressed, use something like:

Code:
main:
if pin3=1 then pressed
goto main

pressed:
inc timer
if timer>entervalue then timout
if pin3=1 then pressed
if timer = value_representing_onesecond then mode1
if timer = value_representing_twosecond then mode2
if timer = value_representing_threesecond then mode3
if timer = value_representing_foursecond then mode4
etc
Do this yourself - the code isn't worth more than about a fiver.

A

Ok thanks guys. If there are any other bits of code or anything you can link me to it would be appreciated! :D

What kind of programming dock and chip do you recommend I use? Also, what program do you use to program? i've had a look at the starter packs and things, but what one is the right one? :confused:

Sorry I'm a bit of a newb lol it's ok to humour me.

BeanieBots

The Chips are PICAXE.
The "programmer" is two resistors. (see manual)
The programming software is a free download from this site.

Should be possible with a PICAXE 08M.

Dippy

Don't do it DPG, it'll end in tears.

PS. Mind you this thread gained a lot of attention from viewers.

BeanieBots

Sounds like a great idea, do it.
If you use AC's programming charges as a guide line you could undercut the rest by miles.

Dippy

He can come and clean my car in the school holidays if he wants. £5 per hour sounds good.

UBH: Put out an advert and check response. If you get 10,000 enquiries in 24 hours then $600 would be worth it.
I suspect, however, that unless your idea has an exciting USP that you have "missed the boat".

Andrew Cowan

I generally charge £10 an hour for stuff, however with programming, I use my 'special talent' to write four lines at once. Thus two hours of work in 30 minutes.

I'm not saying it would be good code though...

A

He can come and clean my car in the school holidays if he wants. £5 per hour sounds good.

UBH: Put out an advert and check response. If you get 10,000 enquiries in 24 hours then $600 would be worth it.
I suspect, however, that unless your idea has an exciting USP that you have "missed the boat".
Ok i might do that actually. Where can I advertise but?

Andrew Cowan

If I were you, I would start a thread in some xbox forum entitled 'Rapid fire upgrade kit survey'.

Give them a survey to do, and let them have 15% off the final project to say thanks. You'll also find out what people want, and how much they'll pay for it.

A

If I were you, I would start a thread in some xbox forum entitled 'Rapid fire upgrade kit survey'.

Give them a survey to do, and let them have 15% off the final project to say thanks. You'll also find out what people want, and how much they'll pay for it.

A
Done. Now I sit back and enjoy the show :)

Just another question, but with the 555 timer and potentiometer rapid fire, is it possible to do something similar using a PICAXE chip and burst fire?

Dippy

Quite probably.

I thought there were a number of finished projects on this Forum that have done most of what you want already (?) .

May be worth spending a little time searching this Forum.
You may find that most of what you want to do has already been done.

You'll probably find that eclectic will do a search for you. He likes doing that :)

Dippy

Have you considered typing "Rapid Fire" or "Xbox" into the search?
Then some of the thread titles might inidicate something appropriate...

BTW: what does "large numbers" mean?
100? 1million?

Have you considered typing "Rapid Fire" or "Xbox" into the search?
Then some of the thread titles might inidicate something appropriate...

BTW: what does "large numbers" mean?
100? 1million?
By "large numbers" I mean 100 maybe. It all depends really. To start off with I'll advertise and program them as they are ordered. But if I get high demands, then I'll start producing more. Definetly not millions though. Probably not even hundreds.

I just went through a majority of the threads in the "Xbox" search. There were quite a few helpful threads there. I'll just have to try out some coding for myself and play around with coding. :)

Dippy

Excellent.
I'm sure you can cut'n'paste'n'modify.

I must admit, when you said "large numbers" I was expecting at least a thousand.
And if it were i-Pod then "large numbers" would mean millions.

For a mere 100 then DIY is the only way to go - and more satisfying too.

Good luck.

chigley

I thought there were a number of finished projects on this Forum that have done most of what you want already (?) .
I'm one of them :)

The code for this is so damn simple! You could easily do it in an hour. Cramming the chip into the controller is a different matter, I'd take a photo of how I did it but I've lost my screwdriver at the moment! Don't waste your money paying for this, you can do it for free by stealing someone elses (not recommended, but you've already been given links) or just do it yourself!

Plus, so many people sell these that I really don't think it's a nice market anymore.