Pic programmer w/ PICAXE Editor

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If you wish to work entirely within the Programming Editor environment you can only use the Rev-Ed Programmer.

The Programming Editor does create a .HEX object code file when it assembles a program and this can be used with any suitable third party programmer. However, this requires manual intervention during the development process and additional software which is not supplied by Rev-Ed. Help and advice from Rev-Ed is likely to be limited when it comes to configuring and using third party software and programmers which have not been supplied by them.

If you want to use the Programming Editor, are happy with a non-integrated solution, and are familiar with PICmicro programming concepts, then you shouldn't have any problems. If you want to use the Programming Editor and have an integrated and Rev-Ed supported solution, then the Rev-Ed programmer is the recommended choice.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The BASIC to assembler function will only work when a Rev-Ed programmer is attached. Purchase of the programmer gives you a free 'licence' to use the BASIC to assembler software module.

This will then generate you a hex file that you can use for yourself. However as the generated assembler and hex files contain copyrighted sections of code (sub procedures etc) you may not publish the assembler or hex file for public third party downloads.

Edited by - Technical on 4/6/2005 6:20:15 PM

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The Parallax Inc software for the Basic Stamp had the ability to save the object code image of a compiled program and to download that into a chip so software could be delivered without the end-user being able to see the source code, however, for those who knew what they were doing, the object code could easily be converted back into source code. Such a scheme would stop casual users getting at the source code, but wouldn't stop a determined or inquisitive 'hacker'.

There is no equivalent mechanism for the PICAXE that I'm aware of, although Rev-Ed did say they may <i>possibly </i> add this at some time.

I also recall mention of a command line program which would upload to a PICAXE, but I believe that still compiled the source code so that wouldn't help you.

The only way to protect source code at present is to obfuscate it; jumble up the code, use meaningless label and variable names, use confusing code flow and bizarre logic to confuse the reader and make them give up hope of ever understanding what it does.

Some programmers have a natural talent for that :))

mikelbeck

Wait... I'm a little confused...

The Rev-Ed programming editor will create a hex file that can be used with a third-party programmer, but will only do so if the Rev-Ed programmer is attached? So what then would be the purpose of having a third-party programmer?

If I had the Rev-Ed programmer, would I be able to take an existing PICAXE program and put it on a PIC16F88 (non-PICAXE)?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The Programming Editor can create a .HEX file from an Assembly language program which can be used with either the Rev-Ed programmer or a third party programmer.

To convert Basic to Assembly Language ( which is then turned into a .HEX file ) the Rev-Ed programmer is necesary to enable that facility; you have to buy the Rev-Ed programmer regardless of whether you wish to use that or any other programmer to burn the actual PICmicro chips.

As to whether you can take an existing Basic program, convert it to Assembler and burn a PICmicro 16F88 - that depends upon what commands your program users. The Basic to Assembler convertor doesn't support all Basic commands nor all PICAXE abilities. The bas2ass.pdf file contains more detailed information.

Edited by - hippy on 4/7/2005 10:02:29 PM

budge

The next release is due to support extra commands and word variables, is there any date set for this next release?

gimmy

hi guy i need help. i have to connect through bluetooth two eb500(bluetooth device) to pic16f73 the scheme is
pic&gt;eb500...free space...eb500&gt;pic.
now i don't know how i can write the code in assembler to set the address to initialize the communication. i know that the instruction in basic are:
'connect to the remote device'
SEROUT 1,84,[&quot;con 00:00:00:0C:76:F5&quot;,CR]
SERIN 0,84,[WAIT (&quot;ACK&quot;,CR)]
WaitForConnection:
if in5=0 then WaitForConnection
HIGH 6
PAUSE 300

Could anyone help me;is more important for me.Any advise will be appreciate.
thanks

ylp88

<i>Gimmy </i> : Check your own thread... I have posted a reply there...

ylp88

Edited by - ylp88 on 4/30/2005 1:23:04 PM