OT - Mytag system

techElder

This seems like a great system, and it is one that I've essentially designed parts of myself on the planning board. I'm sure many others have, too.

The real problem that makes me hesitate is the reliance on the server in the cloud and the stability of the company maintaining that server. I've used the Iobridge system where this is the norm without problems for years, but it's always there in the back of my mind; none of this works without that server in the "cloud."

I have a message in to the support for "mytaglist", and will relate what I find.

BTW, their initial stock on their version 2 product is sold out. They are quoting a September shipping date.

techElder

From a conversation with Mytaglist Zhiheng Cao owner:

Question from me:
View attachment 12126
The cloud part of your system is what bothers me. It seems like a great leap of faith on my part that your "cloud" will be available for the life of the product. How can this part be reconfigured for a different "cloud" service?

Answer from Cao:
To send push notifications to iPhones, the sender program must have a secret key associated with the publisher of the iOS app. Same thing for Google Cloud Messaging. If we license out the web service to be run at another server, then there will be a version of iOS app and Android app released just for that server too. What do you think?

techElder

Answer from Cao:
We want to let you know that since the sensor tag is powered by coin battery, it can only last three to six months if you'd like to get the out-of-range notification within
one minute. (We give one extra battery for each sensor tag we ship.)

We have not decided where to set up our server, in UK or Germany for our EU customers. If you happen to know any good ones, please let us know and we can try to test first.

In fact, we are delaying shipping to EU because we need more pre-orders from EU to come in before we can pay for the cost get CE marking.

Please let us know anything we can help ...

wirelesstag.net support​

Ok, so you folks in the EU could start suggesting a "cloud"/server if this is to work in your area.

techElder

EU Please help with electrical question

I've had a question posed to me by the good folks at Mytaglist

We have a question for you.

We include in each order a mini usb wall power, and we realize that UK has a different power plug from the USA.

Does UK normally get a kind of adapter with a usb wall power supply for that?

Our problem is that we can not test those EU mini usb wall power if we get them in.

They are trying to get their product ready for the international market for testing purposes and need a bit of guidance.

I'm assuming a USB AC adapter that is a universal voltage input, but has a USA typical plug molded into it.

To me their question is one of the mechanics of converting that USA typical plug into one that can be plugged into a typical UK (or even EU) socket.

How do you normally see this done for a typical purchase?

All due haste is requested ...

JimPerry

Answer from Cao:

Ok, so you folks in the EU could start suggesting a "cloud"/server if this is to work in your area.
Depends on what they want - Linux/Windows what application? Dedicated or shared? I resell HeartInternet - and they are VERY good (24/7 support by email) based in London & Nottingham. PM me and I'll get a quote :cool:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Our problem is that we can not test those EU mini usb wall power if we get them in.
They are trying to get their product ready for the international market for testing purposes and need a bit of guidance.
You could suggest they get hold of a decent quality UK/EU mains inverter so they actually have a 230VAC 50Hz source they can use. I would have thought most test labs would be able to provide whatever is needed for testing product destined to be shipped overseas.

techElder

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll pass them along.

They further explained this morning: "... we wanted to know whether normal people in UK already have that mechanical adapter."

techElder

Also, they released a little info that isn't generally known (well, NOW it is!)

We are developing an outdoor waterproof version of the sensor tag, whose range of talking to the tag manager will be extended to
300~900ft instead of the current 100~300ft.

Just want to let you know that we are implementing an option with home server....(non-cloud server)

nick12ab

They further explained this morning: "... we wanted to know whether normal people in UK already have that mechanical adapter."
With the ones in post #6, the 'mechanical adapter' is supplied with the AC adapter. Only the adapter for the country of sale is included, except for AC adapters sold seperately that are marketed as travel adapters.

techElder

Thank you all. That's probably enough on the subject until these folks get their product out.

Thanks for the good information.

I'm going to be trying to get a PICAXE interface for this product.

techElder

Just one further reply from the folks at MyTagList:

Thanks for your help! We have decided to provide with foreign buyers with UK/EU plug for their orders.

Looks like they are making the right decisions.

We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

sedeap

Finally a Nesbit solution ???

Also, they released a little info that isn't generally known (well, NOW it is!)

We are developing an outdoor waterproof version of the sensor tag, whose range of talking to the tag manager will be extended to
300~900ft instead of the current 100~300ft.
long range outdoor unit...

This gadget will be good for the famous NESBIT (or next of kind) LOL...

:rolleyes:

Another interesting OT devices are Ninja Blocks

*.*

Last edited: