OT, but leading to a PicAxe application.

AndyGadget

How much of a task would it be to detect 5.4KHz RF pulses over a short distance (1 metre) from a low power transmitter? (Just pulse detection, no encoded data.)

The application is to detect heartbeat pulses from an old-type heart rate monitor belt and feed them into a Picaxe for processing and display during fitness training sessions. Something along the lines of a heart rate monitor watch, but with a larger screen, easily accessible functions and indication for various rate bands during a workout session, to be fitted to a rowing machine.

First thought was to use the old ZN414 receiver chip (or MK484) with suitable coil, but that's only good down to 150KHz. Although I know the basics, detailed RF design is a bit of a hole in my knowledge so can someone give me a pointer as to the degree of difficulty, and if do-able, a useful resource to start from.

Andy.

manuka

I've done a fair bit of VLF work as part of seismic monitoring, but hadn't realised heartbeat applications!

Sound card based Spectran is a brilliant tool for any "DC band" monitoring work - give it a whirl.There's no shortage of hearts locally, but suggest you provide details of the gear you have- links,pictures etc.

AndyGadget

Thanks Eclectic - I didn't think to search the forum - Great link.

Rick Moll's page has disappeared into the ether, but wonder of wonders, googling for him found a link to an arduino project and a reference to this :
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8660
but I'll have a play around with Flooby's suggestions first.

Andy.