[OT] 8"x2"x2" Enclosure ideas?

GDSever

...or 21cm x 5cm x 5cm for those of you on the metric system.

I've got a need for a long, skinny enclosure and have been relatively unsuccessful coming up with something that fits the bill... Most enclosures that are long enough are extremely wide, and I really wanted to try to stay as close to the 5cm x 5cm range as possible. Example is shown in the attached picture (the black box)

I've thought of square PVC tubing, although wiring up the board and affixing some standoffs would be difficult at best... not to mention locating it for purchase. I'm also not sure if they sell square end-caps for that stuff. I've also thought of trying to glue a couple of smaller enclosures together, but that would be rather ugly.

Since I am coming up blank here, do you all have an ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dippy

Mmmm.... a giant jug kettle. Must be coffee time again.

Material? Durability? Does it get hot? Will it take a beating.

You can get al box section in square dimension and get it anodised any colour you want. We had end-caps machined.
But it ain't easy is it and I assume the budget is under a fiver? So forget the above :)

GDSever

No, won't really take a beating or get hot. Will be at ambient temperature, minus whatever heat is generated by the circuitry. The metal pot itself will be around 150-170 degF, however there is 1" of threaded plastic between the circuitry enclosure and the kettle itself... and that will not really transfer heat. The enclosure itself will also not support any weight or be used as a handle, although it kind of looks like that - the pot has handles. See the attached pic below for a picture of the vessel itself (ignore the attached circuitry).

My preferred material of construction would actually be plastic of some sort... And I was looking for cheap options (like < US$30). The more I think about the square PVC pipe route, it may be my only option... unless I want to use one of the standard smaller enclosures and put a 90 deg PVC elbow in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

Is there a special requirement for square tubing? why not just us a piece opf PCV pipe with end caps?

Simple cheap and easliy machined.

Myc

GDSever

Yep - that's what it is for. I was trying to avoid dragging a bunch of people over to my blog for all the details (and also subjecting them to my mindless ramblings)- not everyone responds well to that approach...

The square tubing requirement was simply to give me a flat side that I could butt up against the threaded 1/2" mpt portions of the level switches. That would allow me to affix the circuit enclosure to the rest of the grant with a simple 1/2" nut. A round PVC pipe could work also, but the lack of a flat edge would make it more difficult to tightly mount.

inglewoodpete

I have use PVC electrical troughing (BB calls it "trunking") for a long, narrow enclusure.

The cover can be used as a lid for the enclosure by making it longer than the 'trough 'part and heating and bending the ends at right angles.

BeanieBots

Interesting inglewoodpete. Having worked for a US company in the UK for many years I've met most terms for most things and many units of measurement. However, I've never heard of "electrical troughing".
Both the UK and US use "trunking". Is "troughing" unique to AUS?
Some here also call it "conduit" but that's not really the same stuff.

Michael 2727

I've never heard the term "troughing" here in OZ, (VIC).
Plumbers use PVC Pipe and Electricians use PVC conduit. (same stuff, different colours/thicknesses)
There are many sizes and caps, expanders, reducers and all manner of accessories.
Most hardware shops/chains sell the PVC plumbing selection, some the electrical.

Dippy

In UK "troughing" means stuffing a meal down aka "eating" usu at a table.
But, hey, we know what he means.