Options for switching mains electricity

matherp

Hi

I want to control some electric heaters (up to 3KW, 240VAC) so I'm looking for a properly engineered commercial mains switch, meeting all relevant standards, that accepts an opto-coupled logic level input.

I know I can hack a remote mains switch controller. For my own use I've also employed both solid state and mechanical relays perfectly safely. However, in this case I need to do it "by the book".

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Peter

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Have a search for commercial relay modules originally designed for fire alarm systems.

Bill.b

Hi Peter

Do your require variable control for the heaters, if so you would be required to synchronise the PWM output with the mains frquency.

the following part shcematic is for a pic to control 240v AC appliences. It includes mains filtering to minimise the swithing affecting other electorinic
devices.

Hope this helps.

triac.jpg

Bill

matherp

The requirement is simple on/off no pwm. I'm totally happy using mains voltage custom circuits for my own use but in this case I want it to be a sealed unit meeting all regulatory requirements such that it could be installed without needing a qualified electrician and certainly without breaking any safety rules. The remote controlled mains switches would be perfect if they had a logic level input.

I've looked at the fire alarm relays, but these again look like they need proper installation.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I want it to be a sealed unit meeting all regulatory requirements such that it could be installed without needing a qualified electrician and certainly without breaking any safety rules.
One issue is that it is legislation and regulations which specify whether equipment must be installed by qualified electricians.

Is this something to be permanently installed into a wiring system or a plug-in self-contained extension ? More details would seem to be needed to assess whether anything fits the intended application or not.

Dippy

There are loads of approved ones of those , but they don't give 100% isolation. If that is a concern then look elsewhere, but sorry I can't suggest something.

rossko57

Googling around "home automation" throws up lots of gadgets - all RF, WiFi, infrared, or mains-as-signal-carrier though. Unfortunately the requirement for a sealed, plugin, idiot proof unit conflicts with the requirement for a wired control signal ... can you let that go?

matherp

can you let that go?
Looks like I will have to. All I'm after is the equivalent of a mains extension with a logic controlled switch. However, if this list can't come up with something there probably isn't anything out there :)

I'll have to go with the hacked IR remote - at least that is cheap

Thanks all

Peter

elanman99

The requirement is simple on/off no pwm. I'm totally happy using mains voltage custom circuits for my own use but in this case I want it to be a sealed unit meeting all regulatory requirements such that it could be installed without needing a qualified electrician and certainly without breaking any safety rules. The remote controlled mains switches would be perfect if they had a logic level input.

I've looked at the fire alarm relays, but these again look like they need proper installation.
Your requirements for something that can be 'installed' but not need an electrician, sort of conflict.

The simplest thing that a user can do is have some sort of male/female 13A adapter that the load is plugged in via. Aldi/Lidl wireless remote sockets are less than £20 for 4 (when they have them) and would be easier to use than IR types.

I am not aware of any adaptors with a wired control input but they could very well exist. I have a 6 way 13A distribution strip that has some of the sockets controlled via an IR sensor that is on the end of a lead that has a earphone type plug on the end. The socket strip contains a PCB with a mains transformer and regulated PSU. I have a feeling the thing came from British Gas as a power saving device.

Ian