OLED Displays from Winstar

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I agree with nick12ab; it isn't that hard to do.

You should even be able to do much better with an OLED than traditional LCD using CGRAM characters as Winstar OLED have a 'graphics mode' which allows every pixel of the display to be individually controlled. Rather than being limited to a small set of blocks and triangles you could use rounded shapes and fine tune each digit for best display.

nick12ab

If you choose to use the graphics mode, you might have to make a modified version of the AXE133 with a 20X2 in order to fit the font table required for any normal text you want plus 64MHz PICAXE operation is desireable for any GLCD-type application with a PICAXE.

MearCat

I agree with nick12ab; it isn't that hard to do.

You should even be able to do much better with an OLED than traditional LCD using CGRAM characters as Winstar OLED have a 'graphics mode' which allows every pixel of the display to be individually controlled. Rather than being limited to a small set of blocks and triangles you could use rounded shapes and fine tune each digit for best display.
I have (as others also have) previously found that the character based displays with the graphics mode doesn't actually allow EVERY pixel in the display to be referenced - You are restricted to the 5x8 pixels that make up a character.

I will try and get time in the coming weeks to try it out.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I have (as others also have) previously found that the character based displays with the graphics mode doesn't actually allow EVERY pixel in the display to be referenced - You are restricted to the 5x8 pixels that make up a character.
I suppose I should have said "every usable pixel" as, while that was implicit for me, it may not have been for others.

nick12ab

The AXE134Y has appeared in the PICAXE add-on modules category for £20 as 'coming soon'.

And also an AXE132 which is just the driver board for £5.

I can't remembver if I've already asked this, but will there be an OLED without the AXE132, also for £5? £6?

nick12ab

Rapid now has overpriced red, white and blue OLEDs!

If sweet wrappers really aren't good enough, you can buy Rapid's new range here and upgrade your AXE133s.