Notes on EMC and Vehicles PSU (e.g. Cars)

MartinM57

Anyone got anything on modifications and how they effect insurance? (besides making it null and void if not disclosed).
Not true for mine - I have no restrictions on what I can do on my (rally) car insurance..they expect the car to be highly non-standard and as long as it has a current MOT and all the tyres etc are legal when it has its accident they don't seem concerned what I do to it....

Interesting that Dippy's reference has a pi-filter at the front rather than just a simple LC - I suppose GBP0.03 and a bit of PCB real estate might make it worth going to that.

Dippy

My brother in law is a pi filter.
A steak & kidney couldn't get past him.

I guess at the end of the day, on a level playing field, and all things considered, you can only lead a horse to water...

There are many ways to filter, suppress, screen, protect etc. and there are many ways for peple to screw up - usually due to ignorance, inexperience or smartassedness.

What can you do....(sigh).

Bottom line: If you don't know what you are doing then don't do it. If you think you know what you are doing then don't do it. If you know you know what you are doing then double-check that you don't just think you know and make sure you know by asking someone in the know. If you think you know everything then give up as you are far too clever to be allowed safely on the streets and join the Forum instead and recycle previous answers to give the impression that you know what you are on about.

BeanieBots

Now look what you've done Dippy!

Manie, don't go there. Have you seen the gate threshold voltage?
Hope you're not considering trying to drive one with a PICAXE.

Dippy

manie is fully qualifed on FETs now. No problem.
Manie will have devoured the Data Sheet by now.

Oh sorry, are you still quaint old through-hole? (sorry that sounds a bit rude).

SgtB

Bottom line: If you don't know what you are doing then don't do it. If you think you know what you are doing then don't do it. If you know you know what you are doing then double-check that you don't just think you know and make sure you know by asking someone in the know. If you think you know everything then give up as you are far too clever to be allowed safely on the streets and join the Forum instead and recycle previous answers to give the impression that you know what you are on about.
That is now hanging on my wall.:D

BCJKiwi

The Harris Suppressor data sheet referenced in post #2 (BB) implies that any modern vehicle complying with the regulations and good practice, and, having computers on board will already have one of these massive suppressors and therefore the voltage levels will be substantially stable - or have I misinterpreted the data sheet (again??).

BeanieBots

Think of electrical noise suppression like sound noise suppression.
In a noisy room, EVERYONE requires their OWN set of ear defenders.
(just like every chip should have its own decoupling cap)
Compliance also works both ways. Everything that produces noise must be fitted with a 'silencer'.

Dippy

SgtB: I used to be the speech-writer for Donald Rumsfeld.

Abs. BB. People often forget the noise a micro makes. Stick an AM radio next to your PC monitor or a 'busy' PIC.

Last edited: