Noob question

PandaMan96

Hello. Just another noob question. How do you actually download a code onto a chip? At school we have download cables where there are three pins soldered onto the PCB and they plug into the cable. How do you use the 3.5mm stereo jack download cables?

eclectic

Hello. Just another noob question. How do you actually download a code onto a chip? At school we have download cables where there are three pins soldered onto the PCB and they plug into the cable. How do you use the 3.5mm stereo jack download cables?
Start by scan-reading the first few pages of Manual 1.

e

nick12ab

How do you use the 3.5mm stereo jack download cables?
It's soldered onto the PCB and you plug the cable into it. Yes, seriously.

With the jack opening facing to the left and you looking from the top, the pin arrangement is 'Serial In', N/C when plug inserted, 'Serial Out', N/C when plug inserted, 'Ground'. It seems to work more reliably if that first 'N/C' is connected to Serial In and that second 'N/C' is connected to Ground.

PandaMan96

Start by scan-reading the first few pages of Manual 1.

e
I did. Unless I missed something, all it says is connect the download cable to the hardware. It doesn't say how to connect the jack socket to the PICAXE... But re-reading my OP I now realise I didn't phrase the question very well.
It's soldered onto the PCB and you plug the cable into it. Yes, seriously.

With the jack opening facing to the left and you looking from the top, the pin arrangement is 'Serial In', N/C when plug inserted, 'Serial Out', N/C when plug inserted, 'Ground'. It seems to work more reliably if that first 'N/C' is connected to Serial In and that second 'N/C' is connected to Ground.
What? I don't understand... :eek: The pin arrangement of the jack socket? I don't know the pin arrangement of those. Is there a diagram anywhere?

Last edited: