Newbie: AXE110 with AXE033 - no display

shaunchivers

Appologies up front if i am being thick but i really am running out of idea's on this one and am starting to think that I may have damaged the AXE033.

I have connected the Datalogger (AXE110) to the LCD AXE033 as follows:

AXE110 AXE033
GND ----> 0V
OUT6----> IN
V+ ------> V+

I am using 3x AA batteries (new Duracell's) to power the AXE110 which then bridges across to the AXE033. As per the datasheet instructions, due to the 4.5v supply J2 on the AXE033 is connected to bypass D1.

Now, if I short the CLK pins on the AXE033 i see text on the LCD screen so i know that the screen is ok.

If i use the Programming Editor Wizard to download a basic temperature mission using the AXE033 as an output and monitor the 'IN' on the AXE033 with a multimeter i can see a pulse of +5v (ish) when the program is downloaded but i see no display on the LCD.

I see that some posts say that the AXE033 supports N2400 and not T2400 formatted data so have tried this but still no display.

Have i done something wrong or am i missing something? The reason I mention about possible damge to the AXE033 is that i initially had the 'IN' and '+V' swapped. Therefore +4.5v perminantly on the serial input.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Cowan

It idealy wants 5V, so solder link in J2 is using 4.5V.

If the CLK jumper test works, however, the display is OK.

What happens if you try:
serout 6,N2400,("Test")
?

A

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
OUT6----> IN

If i use the Programming Editor Wizard to download a basic temperature mission using the AXE033 as an output and monitor the 'IN' on the AXE033 with a multimeter i can see a pulse of +5v (ish) when the program is downloaded but i see no display on the LCD.
That shouldn't be happening as far as I'm aware. If you have connected the LCD to the CT9 connector I'm not sure why that would happen but it would be worth checking that there are no solder shorts on the board.

If you run the following tests, do they show activity on Output Pin 6 / LCD input ...

Test1:
Do
SerTxd("UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU")
Loop

Test2:
Do
SerOut 6,N600,("UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU")
Loop

westaust55

That shouldn't be happening as far as I'm aware. If you have connected the LCD to the CT9 connector I'm not sure why that would happen but it would be worth checking that there are no solder shorts on the board.

If you run the following tests, do they show activity on Output Pin 6 / LCD input ...

Test1:
Do
SerTxd("UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU")
Loop

Test2:
Do
SerOut 6,N600,("UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU")
Loop
Maybe something new for me to learn (and it is midnight here) but I thought the SERTXD command would send the data via pin 2 on the TXD pin of the PICAXE not OUTPUT 6

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Yes - But if Out 6 is showing activity on download then maybe Serial Out and Out 6 have some short. Just a thought.

westaust55

Yes - But if Out 6 is showing activity on download then maybe Serial Out and Out 6 have some short. Just a thought.
Ah, follow your thinking now.

@shaunchivers,
expanding upon hippy's thoughts do you have an AXE111 memory expansion conncted to your AXE110 datalogger - in particular with the write protect enabled? :confused:

shaunchivers

Thanks for the help so far..

Results:
Test1: No activity on OUT6
Test2: 5v on OUT6 after program download

Westaust55, I dont have the memory expansion.

eclectic

@shaun

Just a possibility.

Remove power
Remove the clock jumper

Connect power

Download this program

Code:
;REMOVE the clock jumper
;Remove power
;Connect power

#picaxe 18x
serout 6,n2400, (254,1)
pause 100
main:
for b0 = 1 to 255
serout 6,n2400, (254, 128,#b0,"   ")

pause 500
next

goto main

IF it works, then very briefly,
SHORT the clock jumper.

Watch what happens

Then press the reset button.

Worth a try?????
e

shaunchivers

@shaun

Just a possibility.

Remove power
Remove the clock jumper

Connect power

Download this program

Code:
;REMOVE the clock jumper
;Remove power
;Connect power

#picaxe 18x
serout 6,n2400, (254,1)
pause 100
main:
for b0 = 1 to 255
serout 6,n2400, (254, 128,#b0,"   ")

pause 500
next

goto main

IF it works, then very briefly,
SHORT the clock jumper.

Watch what happens

Then press the reset button.

Worth a try?????
e
Worth a try ... but nothing on the display at all.

Some additional information. When i use the wizard to create a basic temperature mission and briefly short the CLK jumper between poll periods the LCD display shows the Clock time (all zero's). After the temperature poll the lcd screen is blanked. I conclude from this that something IS being sent and received over the serial comms link. Between AXE110 and AXE033.

shaunchivers

@eclectic

To clarify, the normal state is for the clock jumper to be removed - right? With it connected the lcd sits in clock mode. When it is removed i see nothing on the display at any time during any of the tests.

S

eclectic

OK.
I've got an AXE110 board and an AXE033.
They are working.
I've tried the programs in my previous posts.

They work.

Back to Hippy's post#6
"That shouldn't be happening as far as I'm aware. If you have connected the LCD to the CT9 connector I'm not sure why that would happen but it would be worth checking that there are no solder shorts on the board."

Now out of ideas.

e

shaunchivers

After replacing the interconnecting wires and cleaning up the PCB - its working!

Thanks for all the help and advice. Maybe at some point I will be able to put something back into this forum.

Shaun