NEW - Australian PICAXE forum

axeman22

Hi All,

just letting those in the land down under know that there is now an Australian PICAXE forum, linked at the hip with the Australian distributor for PICAXE - Microzed.com.au .

The address is : http://picaxe.com.au/forum/

The Oz forum is really aimed at building a closer knit group of like minded AXErs in the Australian region/time zone. In no way does it suggest to detract nor replace this forum. In the same breath acknowledging and giving great credit for this forum, it's certainly been very helpful to me for one and may I'm sure. Noted is that the quality of this forum comes down to the effort of the individuals, which indeed has been plentiful.

Those outside of Australia are welcome to join of course, the board is new and there certainly is a need for people to add, moderate, offer ideas and build upon the base.

Hope to see you there!

Dippy

I very much support spreading The Word. Good luck with it.

Just one question;
Does this mean that people will have to go back and forth through different Forums to keep up to date on the latest projects and design tips?

And then a New Zealand Forum and a USA Forum come along. Links between them. Info all over the place - aaargh what a pain.

SAborn

Now, now, Dippy, that just sounds like some good old English complaining.
I do get your point though.
It could help out with some of the language differences...A Mate!
Thats my 2p errr 2c worth.

Dippy

Well actually I was trying to ask a serious question in a gentle think-about-it way....

Not complaining at all .... just wondering.

MartinM57

Maybe Rev-Ed could be persuaded to have an "Ausssies only mate!" sub forum here - after all, someone persuaded them to have "Le forum officiel PICAXE francophone"....it would keep everything in one place and searchable...

slimplynth

That's exactly what I thought too Martin. The links to the PE and manuals/datasheets are obviously easily linked to for any new site but I can only assume that any loss of Ozzy users is a bad thing (i.e. if attentions are split between two forums) - it's a personal choice though, fair enough.

BeanieBots

Several other forum attempts have come and gone in the past.
What makes a "good" forum is it's members.
Only time will tell.

IMHO, the language difference betweem Autralian and English is not large enough to require a seperate forum.

axeman22

Hi Again all,

really I'm just trying to provide a way for us locals down here to band together, get to know each other a bit better etc. I'm planning to try and organize some PICAXE meets etc.

for a newbie, and even an experienced person, sometimes posting on the main forum which really does have a global audience can be a bit intimidating. To some degree people might not post for that reason. not saying that this IS an issue as I personally have found this forum very friendly, but then again confidence is not something I'm short on either :)

yes perhaps there will be some replication but that's ok, forums are a great discussion tool but often finding what you need can be challenging, plan is to let google index the Oz Forum just like the UK one so should be easy enough to find the gold, wherever it is.

I'm thinking we could make this a complex what if, why not etc discussion thread but really it's pretty simple. It's just us, down here making our own little group and supporting each other. This region (Aus, NZ, PNG, Asia etc) is really quite out there as far as timezone and logistics go so to have a local chapter makes one feel all warm and fuzzy, knowing they're not alone :)

I still think quality of input and harder questions etc will make it back to these forums for a wider input. For my mind if we could take off the local chatter and make these forums just full of quality as opposed to chit chat then I reckon that'd be great.

anyways, globally PICAXErs are a pretty small breed so if building is stronger in local groups, help build the overall global strength then it's all for the good :)

no hidden agenda, no underlying sinister motive, just something local - if it's not popular we'll shut it down after a while.

axeman22

Only time will tell.

IMHO, the language difference betweem Autralian and English is not large enough to require a seperate forum.
I completely agree with BB and Dippy etc - only time will tell. If locals to this region want something local then they'll join up and put the time into giving, as much as taking, if the status quo is what's desired then here is where it will stay. I don't ever think the AU forum will be as active as this one, ok with that as it never was the idea.

As I said, just locals in region(not AU only) supporting each other. Noting that some people love forums and sharing/supporting(arguably they MAKE a forum) - ie it's that component they really enjoy - therefore, anyone, from anywhere is welcomed to join and contribute. I'm planning to reward the really active ones by granting admin privs etc so they can really shape things here.

Over time now I have taken a lot from the PICAXE community so I (personally) am trying to give back, as in my blog, the DS1307 discussion thread here, the microzed.com.au online store etc - all trying to build activity and understanding in region here. building is globally along the way.

Everyone's a winner and as they say - water find's it's own level :)

sages

I'm an aussie forumite.
Whilst us Aussies are known for our brilliance in all things, i've noticed on the odd occasion that there's a few other out there in the world who also know a thing or two. ;)
Unfortunately my computer isn't as smart and is uses the www ( world wide web :eek: ) when I access internet forums.
I tend to categorise forums by language and content, this one seems to tick the box's on both requirements. An Australian forum, apart from the occasional variations in english, doesn't seem to be able to value add to what is allready here.
Which kind of makes more than one forum a tad redundant. ymmv.

westaust55

Only time will tell.

I concur with sages, BB and Dippy. :eek:

I certainly do not have the time to put my efforts into a second forum to the level that I currently do here.
A hobby is a hobby with limited time and only SAborn has 36 hour days.

Even an “Oceania” section akin to the French section here on the Rev Ed site may bring about a degree of segregation. How many here ever look at the French sub-section?

Strewth mate, there are different words for the same thing/item between the west and east coast of Australia but we survive! :)

Some years ago, Jayco (Caravan builders her in Oz) stopped their forum briefly after a period of spam etc. One individual, with good intentions, immediately started a new Jayco forum on Yahoo. Short after Jayco sorted out their forum and were “back on the air”. The Jayco Yahoo forum still exists but with very few posts (maybe 30 a month)

Even here on the Rev Ed forum, I have an aversion to links to personal sites and U-Tube instead of posting information here. Many links get broken over time – in my searching and trolling I stumble across broken links frequently.
Keeping as much related information together as possible should be the goal.

Personally, I would stay with the component vendors forum.

Last edited:

John West

Only time will tell.

IMHO, the language difference between Australian and English is not large enough to require a separate forum.
Yank, OTOH......;)

manuka

Speaking for my countryfolk,us Kiwis may also have a few opinions on the need for an "Dinkum Aussie" forum - especially if it's in "Emma Chisit" Strine. It's the global village folks, so IMHO a single forum (in acceptable English) is surely enough. Stan.

Last edited:

SAborn

I will give a little time and support to both forums as i cant see a local forum hurting this one at all.
At least local to Oz it can help with finding local supplies of sort after parts easier and at times hands on help from those of us that can offer, as in some cases a 10 minute phone call can save days of frustration with back and forth forum missunderstandings.

My comment on different languages earlier was a tongue in cheek joke that got missed by other english speaking folks and not a reason for a new forum.

The work that some of you do here is a true credit to your dedication of helping others and I dont think five minutes of your time now and then would hurt anyone that much to help out, and most folks would migrate to this forum anyway.

I see it as a wading pool, as not everyone wants to jump in the deep end of the pool first up and would rather wet their feet first.

The depths of knowledge on this forum is extreme and can be a little overwhelming to a beginner, as many that i have helped get started, have asked questions here and have received answers way over their depth of understanding.

I would think it much better to help run the forums on parallel lines rather than thumbing your nose at the new kid on the block.

axeman22

I will give a little time and support to both forums as i cant see a local forum hurting this one at all.
At least local to Oz it can help with finding local supplies of sort after parts easier and at times hands on help from those of us that can offer, as in some cases a 10 minute phone call can save days of frustration with back and forth forum missunderstandings.

My comment on different languages earlier was a tongue in cheek joke that got missed by other english speaking folks and not a reason for a new forum.

The work that some of you do here is a true credit to your dedication of helping others and I dont think five minutes of your time now and then would hurt anyone that much to help out, and most folks would migrate to this forum anyway.

I see it as a wading pool, as not everyone wants to jump in the deep end of the pool first up and would rather wet their feet first.

The depths of knowledge on this forum is extreme and can be a little overwhelming to a beginner, as many that i have helped get started, have asked questions here and have received answers way over their depth of understanding.

I would think it much better to help run the forums on parallel lines rather than thumbing your nose at the new kid on the block.
SAborn is on the money. This thread has turned into a bit of a public stoning.. really no need for that. We're doing good work here and advancing the cause which will ultimately build the PICAXE business for REV-Ed (bringing money back to the mother land) and as you can appreciate this forum also. I see it also as a wading pool, a discussion place, local chatter.

There is a difference between water finding it's own level and people pushing their opinions across and trying to sway others also. I must say I have lost a little bit of respect for the way a few people have responded, people I had held in high esteem. My original post was quite respectful and offered something for locals here, no one forcing anyone to do anything, and it was met with Scorn - I was surprised. No one's trying to take control, steal forumshare etc. .it's just a local forum.. nothing sinister.

If it only ever has 7 members, and they get value from it, then who does it harm. If a newbie feels not so stupid and it helps them get over that hurdle to have the knowledge and confidence to post here then it's served a purpose. Actually, looking at this very thread you might take that conclusion if you were thinking of speaking up. If someone hits google looking for PICAXE forums I'm sure this one will always rank higher just bases on sheer numbers and quality etc.

I don't want to start an argument here folks.. if you like it use it, if you don't, just ignore it.

Can we put down our pitch forks and stones and, just like your mum says - if you can't say something nice..

:)

Dippy

"I concur with sages, BB and Dippy. :eek:"
- muddy hell!

"The depths of knowledge on this forum is extreme and can be a little overwhelming to a beginner"
- really? Is it that scary? So, this new Forum is like a Junior-Forum. And then when confident enough they progress to the Senior Forum? That is sad.:(

"..just like your mum says - if you can't say something nice.."
- I think it's a wondeful idea - go for it.

Pauldesign

Biggest looser USA, Biggest looser UK, Biggest looser Aussies...Forum is about acquiring knowledge and great if that can be acquired from a one stop shop;it's not some sort of business or national or regional competition or franchise or pride as some are already saying. I think soon there will be an African picaxe forum also!!!:rolleyes: Why say Aussie forum but still urging other non Aussies or Oceanians to joint? What makes the different anyway because that is why there is www for all for us globally to connect to the same point except on sometimes slightly different times? In my opinion English slightly varies globally but at the end of the day we all still understand each other so there is no need for duplicates or regional forums as this isn't a postal service and interestingly some of the gurus here are even from Australia which i guest understand the people of Australia! If i'm a beginner i'll like to search where there is lot of info esp from the experience folks (i guest that is why there is a search feature) so that i can better understand what i'm looking for and for interest sake how does that frightens a novice, esp when nobody even knows you! That tells me that, that type of a student is never active in class because, if u can be scared online to ask questions to better your understand what about in class where folks and hot chicks are watching at you! and how can that person even propose a chick. (oohs out of line):cool:
If u can search for info in Aussies forum which they might be hardly even any and even if they are, of what validity. Why can't you do the same in the UK (Picaxe forum), what makes it different! after all it's works, fast, multiple ideas, etc. I agree with BB, West and Dippy as creating other related forums is a waste of time and to me it only makes sense if the language of communication will be different. Anyway that tells you the popularity of picaxe as people are trying to become the new gurus in their regions. To conclude this legacy belongs to UK and courtesy of the guys that have responded to nearly all of the threads which we've all and are still learning alot from. Lets leave it in UK and build it there instead of breaking it. We're all patriotic in life and i like your spirit but your reasons given to create an Aussie forum is trivial. Why not just create a newbies picaxe forum instead as there is no newbie question that will be asked in the Aussie forum that hasn't been ask in the mother forum and solutions that will be provided will just be plagiarism from the UK forum (maybe not if answered in Aussie English). I hope there is no hard feelings. Anyway the Aussie newbies will be the one moving back and forth and i doubt how long that might last;)

Dippy

I get your drift Paul.
BTW: What's a "looser" ?

A few spaces would be nice - that's real difficult to read when you have as many bad habits as I do.;)

cactusface

Forums and forums....

Hi Folks,
For myself I don't like the idea of lots of different forums, it will divide us, all of us. The forum's main odject is we are all here in this place, to share what me know, to ask questions of people we know. The french well there is perhaps a language problem there. But come on! Ozies, Kiwi's and good old Londoners.... its all English! well sort of.

10 days or so ago I joined a genral electronics forum and introduced myself, ask my question, a one line reply from the moderator, not including the words Welcome, Hello or Thanks... Another member did a one line reply to say, flowcharting seemed like a good idea

Lets make sure we don't go this way.:eek:
Regards to all.
Mel

Minifig666

I'm sat on the fence with this one, my only wonder is would it be possible to have the Australian forum as a subforum on this site, to me it would make much more sense.
With regards to what cactusface said, I must agree that this certainly is the most friendly forum I have ever bee a member of. We're not a huge bunch so we sort of get to know each other becoming a community.
The fact that most people take time with there answers is absolutely brilliant, unlike for example yahoo answers where there is a handful of who get their grammar right then others who answer like this:
'your qweston makez no sense so i cant help u'
For been brilliant everyone, thank you!
I feel I have gone off track a little with that, sorry 'bout that! :)

BeanieBots

I still don't see any real benefit. Especially if it just an "Aussie" section.
Perhaps a "newbie" section.
No permission to start new threads in the "senior" section.
The "newbie" section to have compulsory fields such as:-
PE Version
PICAXE type.
Batteries checked [tick]
Download circuit checked [tick]
Read the sticky [tick]
etc... etc...

slimplynth

that's exactly where I was going with the flowchart BB.. a new template for posts would be ideal though... tick boxes indicating if certain items had been checked.. .. state the measured values etc..prompt for a photo of circuit/screen shot etc.

SAborn

Look at it this way if it was a "Aussie Electronics forum" that discussed picaxe as well then there be none of the whinging, gripes and grizzles.

I would like to see more electronic projects and disscussions outside of just picaxe alone.

Picaxe is just one of the areas of electronics i do and be nice to have disscussions with other ilk like people.

You Have a great forum here and it is basically all picaxe discussions which is good, but a forum that covered picaxe and other electronic topics also has a place in the cyber world.

There is several others simular forums out there that often get a mention on this forum, There is room for everyone without the need for a capatialistic view of only one big forum.

The forum is backed by the Australian distributer for picaxe and should have the right to promote his services locally with a avenue of help and support for his products.

I am involved with several renewable energy forums that all cover the same topics as one another, and they dont have a problem with other forums of the same, in actual fact they all work in parallel with each other and support each other.

Just sounds like sour grapes and a lot of whingers to me.

slimplynth

I think 'Whinging' is a little harsh SA (I could equally (albeit wrongly) imply that you are stirring).

As for general discussion, I think you're right ( a separate forum section) but whenever a general topic does arise (provided it's not competition) then my experience has always been that it's well recieved.

(Or do you mean there should be a forum section that can include *******'s - suppose given that rev-ed do fund this forum you can see reason why they wouldn't want to do that)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Just sounds like sour grapes and a lot of whingers to me.
It looks more to me that people are just raising the pro's and con's of multiple and single forums and everyone will have their own opinion on that and there never will be any universal agreement. As long as a viewpoint has a rationale I wouldn't consider it whinging.

One thing I have seen on other forums is that a PICAXE question will be asked and either no one can answer it or the discussion runs to extensive length and sometimes with incorrect information whereas if they'd asked here there would likely be a quick, concise and accurate answer.

To me that seems disadvantageous for the person asking a question and I'm surprised when no one mentions coming to this forum to ask in but it probably isn't worth speculating on why that may be.

My personal feeling is that it's advantageous to have all the 'knowledge' in one place but if others prefer alternative forums to this one then that's their choice.

Dippy

SA. You have been very critical about many aspects I recall, so maybe you could explain the "sour grapes" aspect to us?

It suggests envy and/or jealousy. I can't see that anywhere (??).

You're the one who often whinges about, my apologies, I mean suggests "having a go" , so, do as you tell others - have a go.
Then we can all learn about the benefits.

manuka

Reflection for those unfamilar with Blighty culture:

I come from British stock & feel hence modested qualified to comment that the Forum's occasional "scornful remarks" need to be kept in cultural perspective. IMHO they may well be related to a teasing aspect of southern UK conversation that often borders on good natured insult. I've diverse relatives in Blighty who think nothing of abusing me with such "Stepto & Son" style banter, & a mental gear shift is often needed to cope.

Of course -when face to face- voice inflexions,body language & facial expressions can ease the torment, but things indeed can become a tad raw when keyboard expressed...

To those with timid dispositions it seems the trick is to take a deep breath & then make witty deflecting counter attacks about the UK weather/traffic/housing/work ethic/economy/football(ah-especially the football!) etc. Just don't mention their ale however or things will become inflammed !

Keep responses in perspective-when luxuriating near a XXXX beach in Queensland, the barbs of Battersea become trivial ...

Last edited:

manuka

Ah the good old days... Extra: In spite of recent UK reports that ~10 million Brits have never used the internet,you have to take heart with this !

Dippy

You can listen to the radio version of Steptoe & Son here...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007jlj8/Steptoe_and_Son_Twos_Company/

... and then, whilst feeling nostalgic, how about this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t1bnk

(Not sure if this is UK only, apologies if the case)

I don't like Real Ale or football (soccer variety) so couldn't give a monkey's.:rolleyes:

10 million Brits never used the Internet? Blimey.
What was that - a survey of 7 people at an Old People's Home and a bit of a-hole extrapolation?

manuka

Dippy mate- it's apparently a fair dinkum state of affairs, with such pillars of jornalism as the Daily Mail saying
Martha Lane Fox, the founder of Lastminute.com, was asked by the Government this month to continue as UK digital champion. She has been given the task of getting online the 10 million Britons who have never used the Internet. - Daily Mail July 1st 2010
As an acknowledged digital champion yourself, perhaps put up your hand for a share of the spoils.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
10 million is about 20% of the adult population in the UK so isn't really that shocking if it is true.

There's around 12 million pensioners ( 3 million aged over 80 ) and some 10 million defined as being below low-income thresholds which could make up a good proportion of those.