Neat Chips and Components to Inspire Picaxe Projects. Niches defined and filled.

HertzHog

I'm not sure if this thread will run.

We all should be familiar with the Picaxe sites selection of chips to complement these remarkable little microprocessors. I'm wondering what your favourite supporting chips and components are that may help others to get a project off the ground. Ideally these would be chosen from experience to just work and interface well with Picaxe and extend their functionality particularly for beginners. Clearly the source needs to be reliable and generally available.
For example, I have found it difficult to choose an 'ideal' latching relay. So many to choose from and so many suppliers. I'd like to switch a low power heater say 40 watts, should I choose mains voltage or lower voltage (but higher current)? What have others used that served them well?
There are many radio modules out there, but which ones have others found to work easily?
If you have a small project, has anyone found a good 5v solar cell that can make it independent of batteries and yet not increase the foot print of the box too much. I have found Maplin to be devoid of suitable cells. There must be a better way than pulling apart solar LED lights?
What about vibrators to act as annunciators (aiming to be a bit less annoying than a Piezoelectric sounder).

This thread might get some projects off the ground and might inspire a worthwhile broadening of the supplies in the Picaxe shop. Feel free to suggest new niches as well as your 'magic' ingredients. I hope this is not too nebulous an idea for a thread. HertzHog

manuka

Good idea(s), but factor in -
1. The exceedingly rapid rate of change in this game means even boring items may fast become elusive!
2. P&P can be a killer - often costing more than the items themselves...
3. User prefs & opinions differ widely about what may constitute "neat chips & components".(Hello Dippy?)
4. End user experience (or lack of) may thwart device applications that others would find a breeze.

What's wrong with CHEAP & ABUNDANT solar garden lamps as a parts source I say! Most have only a ~2V & 30mA output in bright sunlight, but stringing them together is easy enough. Otherwise perhaps the "best" source for solar PVs is US firm Pager Motors, but their flexible types sell at quite a premium. Stan.

inglewoodpete

For example, I have found it difficult to choose an 'ideal' latching relay. So many to choose from and so many suppliers. I'd like to switch a low power heater say 40 watts, should I choose mains voltage or lower voltage (but higher current)? What have others used that served them well?
Unless you really know what you're doing, I'd suggest you use low voltage DC for a 40W heater. A 40W 12v or 24v light bulb can be used as a heater. Drive it with a MOSFET rather than a relay.

What about vibrators to act as annunciators (aiming to be a bit less annoying than a Piezoelectric sounder).
Ooer, I'll check with the wife on that one.

Dippy

Hello Stan.

" I'd like to switch a low power heater say 40 watts, should I choose mains voltage or lower voltage (but higher current)? "
- this is where "parametric" (i.e. based on device parameters) is helpful in sites like Farnell, RS etc.
For a relay you must look into the contact ratings first.
Is your 40W heater Mains 240V (for example).
You don't mention it.
Then you can calc the Current rating. Be generous with your selection.

Your question is too big to give a concise answer.
Stretch your search beyond Maplin . They're almost out of it for the hobbyist/designer.
And if the design is really important don't 'economise' on the bits.

The fundamentals of any design is to calculate your total requirements and then find components/methods/designs to fit.
e.g. you DO NOT select a 40W 12V contact relay for a 40W 240V load. Common sense. Use yer noggin.
Basically: Horses for courses.

Otherwise, check with Pete's wife. No wonder she smiles when the doorbell gets pressed :)