My Robotics Project

merthsoft

So, I posted here a little bit ago needing help with an IR range finder, and I got help, and now I want to share with you all what I've accomplished so far. And thanks to everyone's help, I now have a real robot, you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXuQp52D5Y8&feature=channel
The second video has the rangefinder installed, and in the description there's a link to a picture that shows the guts of it. This is a research project in swarm robotics for my University, so soon enough there should be lots of these guys running around. If you have any suggestions about what I could be doing differently or anything, feel free to let me know!

boriz

Always nice to see follow-up posts reporting progress. Especially video :)

If you are going to run several bots in close proximity, you’re likely to have problems with the IR sensors interfering with each other.

merthsoft

As far as the rangefinders go, they reportedly won't interfere with each other, nor will other IR light, at least so says the manual it came with. They will be using IR to talk to each other, though, so I'm sure a big part of what I will be doing is filtering out the noise cause by the rangefinders. We have a surplus of IR LEDs and receivers, though, so hopefully we can put them to use.
Also, if any one is interested on what my research is based loosely on, look up:
Schmickl and Crailsheim, A Navigation Algorithm for Swarm Robots Inspired by Slime Mold Aggregation. Swarm Robotics Workshop, LNCS 4433, pp. 1-13, 2007