Missing appendicies for 18/20 pin parts

John West

Unless my old eyes are again deceiving me (as they often do) there are appendicies for I/O configuration in Manual 1 for all chips other than the 18 and 20 pin devices. Am I missing something?

I did find what appear to be the relevant commands listed in Manual 2.

BTW - is this the correct forum in which to note such items?

-JW

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
No, you're not missing anything. The devices which aren't included have fixed I/O pins so there's only one possible configuration so no 'advanced configurations' appendices necessary.

Yes, this is the right forum. Certainly for general and most "have I understood correctly ?" questions. Our intent is to read all forum postings and none get priority over others.

John West

Thanks for the reply. I'm attempting to gather together the appropriate reference material to work with the 20X2 chips.

Here are some items I've noted and still wonder about:

Pg 51 of Manual 1 appears to indicate that the 20X2 pins can be configured as either inputs or outputs - though you indicate they cannot be. Also the chip drawings for the 20X2 appear to indicate that several pins are used as either inputs or output.

Pg 74-77 of Manual 1:
Appendix A – BASIC Commands Summary
No PICAXE-20X commands or Additional Commands are listed.

Pg 98 of Manual 1:
Appendix I - Advanced Technical Information and FAQ
---
Can you alter the input/output pin arrangement of the PICAXE microcontroller?
The PICAXE-08 has 5 pins that can be configured as desired. The 28 and 40 pin PICAXE can also be altered to give more inputs or outputs. The 18 pin input/output pin arrangements are fixed and cannot be altered.
There is no mention at all of 20 pin parts.
-
Thanks in advance for clarification. I'll get this figured out yet.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Sorry, I missed a bit out; all the devices without special appendices are either fixed I/O or I/O can be entirely programmable ( except those which can only be input or output because of silicon or firmware constraints ). That is they only have one configuration so no appendix.

Manual 1 was produced before the 20X2 was available. 20X2 will be included specifically in time. Basically the 20X2 supports the additional commands of the 28X2 and 40X2.

Pressing F1 in Programming Editor ( or using Help -> Quick Syntax Checker ) will bring up a list of commands and show which are applicable to the 20X2, as does Manual 2.

John West

Thank you. As I read it became clear the 20X2 was an add-on to the original manual and not fully integrated as yet.

Being an oldster I have a tendency to try to get all pertinent info in hard copy and organized in advance for the job at hand - to then use as a reminder for a forgetful old brain as I go along. I'm in the process of doing just that with 20X2 info.

Next comes Manual 2 - then Manual 3. A detailed examination of the editor features comes later on up-slope on my learning curve.

Unfortunately I'm still getting used to the idea of simply referring to info on the computer as I am in the process of working with it instead of understanding it fully before I begin. I grew up in a time when information was far more scarce and being methodical seemed more essential.

Old ways of doing things die hard.

Last edited: