Micromouse kit circuit diagram!!!

bugmenot1234

Hello Admin and the pplz who are making this forum run on its foot. I'm a newbii :p here. Just bought the micromouse kit from www.techsupplies.co.uk and i waz hoping that can anyone help me with the circuit diagram of the micromouse. Thankyou in advance!!!!:)

Andrew Cowan

Welcome to the forum.

The fastest way to get responses is by posting in the 'active PICAXE foum' section.

As for the datasheet, I think the block digram on page 15 of here is as good as you are going to get. Why do you need it - are you having a problem with the kit?

A

bugmenot1234

Sir,
Well the thing is i am a student of Engineering(Electronics and communication) and opted for the micromouse as the final year project so want to understand the complete circuit of micromouse from PICAXE. I want to implement this circuit in any simulator and can you also tell me any software which can be used to implement and simulate this circuit. Thank you.!!

bugmenot1234

Sir,
There is no datasheet given with the pacakge. Its provided with the softwares, some pics of micromouse and a user manual.

westaust55

@bugnmenot,

The document mentioned by Andrew (see: http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/KIT110.pdf) is a cut down version of the manual on the CD. This is what Rev Ed class as the datasheet.

The micromouse kit was designed by Jim Chidley and Derek Hall and from literature that I have read may be copyright to them and since it is PICAXE based, sold by Rev Ed / TechSupplies.

You can appreciate that many equipment suppliers (not just Rev Ed) will not divulge the schematic diagrams for their circuits as it leaves them open to copying of their design and selling of clones by the less honest types.

Looking at even the cut-down manual from the Rev Ed website (per the link above) there is ample details on which PICAXE IO is used for each function to enable you to alter the program and understand how it works.

In terms of implementing/simulation – to what level are you trying to simulate?
The Rev Ed free Programming Editor as a simulation mode for the PICAXE chips alone
The Rev Ed VMS package (has a license fee) can further simulate a circuit but you may need to build/add to the component library.

Give folks here a bit more specific information and specific questions if you have a problem with the micro-mouse kits and folks are generally very willing to help to the best of their abilities.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Jim and Derek developed this kit, and all the information available is already on the CD. This includes example programs to make a full maze solver and parts of the circuit diagram (e.g. explaining how the sensors etc work). However you have to remember that 'micromousing' is a competitive sport and not everyone will give all their secret information away...!

Everything you need to know to get the mouse assembled and working is on the CD, including the full programs. If you need more info contact Derek/Jim directly as suggested.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Looking at the cut-down version of the manual on the Tech-Supplies site, including important pinouts and some PCB board designs it should not be impossible to reverse engineer the circuit from that, and it would be even easier with the full documentation and the physical kit of parts to hand. Whether reverse engineering is permissible or not is a matter beyond the question of it being possible.

Being in such a situation is not uncommon in the commercial world where designers or manufacturers don't provide circuit diagrams themselves and don't licence partners and suppliers to provide them. Some will go to extreme lengths to protect their circuit from reverse engineering but in this case there seems to be very little to prevent that; all that seems to be needed here is the information provided, the circuit board, a multi-meter with a continuity checking ability, some effort and the will to do it. The provided example code should also work as confirmation of circuit.

bugmenot1234

Thank you pplz for all your help. I understand the thing that the circuit is copyrited but i really need it and if i get the circuit i want to implement the circuit in a software. (for example..similar to ORCAD) so that i can see the output of various voltage signals and the output at the pins of the microcontroller.

BeanieBots

To the best of my knowledge, the only software which can simulate hardware AND simulate the program running in a PICAXE is "PICAXE VSM".

As mentioned, you will need to contact Jim and/or Derek direct and ask them nicely if they will give you all their secrets. You will also need to purchase a VSM liscence if you want to simulate the software as well.

LizzieB

Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that any instructor would sign off on this as a "final year project" ?

westaust55

Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that any instructor would sign off on this as a "final year project" ?
Concur Lizzie

Seems to be a project to "understand" a micro-mouse designed and documented by others.
I though a "final year project" would involve define a new project, design the circuits, write the program, test and modify, document (operator and maintenance manuals), present the project, etc