micro 8

Dicky Mint

Hi

I'm wondering if a PICAXE is made in Micro 8 footprint?

Indeed I'm beginning to wonder if any ICs actually exist in micro 8?

Perhaps someone could shed some light on my problem as the micro 8 seems
an ideal tiny footprint for putting an IC into a small space on a PCB.

tony_g

Smallest picaxe in smd form is the 08m and 08m2, I have been contemplating using them soon for some of my pcb designs as they are less than half the size of the standard 8 pin dip and so low profile they can fit almost anywhere

tony_g

IMG_0235.JPGIMG_0236.JPG

just to give you a visual idea of size difference, the cheap rfid reader i bought uses both 8 and 14 pin smd chips in the same footprint as the available picaxe 08m/m2 and 14m2. shown next to an 08m2 dip for size clarity.

Dicky Mint

Thanks Guys

I'm glad one can readily get the SMD version of the 08M2 but not the micro8,
unfortunately!

I've managed to trace a sample of LM393 in micro8 from ON semiconductors
which is good for me as I want one, accept they want ~£10 handling and postage!

I can't really complain as their samples are free but they'll have to wait a
while for my custom!

Next thing I'm looking for is a 555 in micro8?

I'll Google it some more to see but any opinions or directions would be welcome.

Rick

srnet

Perhaps someone could shed some light on my problem as the micro 8 seems
an ideal tiny footprint for putting an IC into a small space on a PCB.
If your having PCBs professionally assembled, proper pick and place machines and the like, then it might be ideal, assuming heat dissipation is not an issue.

So how were you going to get them assembled, an 8 pin micro8 is about 1.4mm square ?

srnet

What a good link, I see a Micro8 is different to the smaller Micro8 bump ............

The packages the 12F1840 (08M2) are available in are listed in the Microchip datasheet. Its available in surface mount packages that are a good deal smaller than the SOIC version the Rev Ed use for the 08M2.

I guess Rev Ed dont sell them in the smaller packages as there is likely to be almost zero demand for a PICAXE in that small. And very few PICAXE users would be able to solder these to PCBs anyway.