macaxepad ppc crash if window too large?

fortis

Using MacAxepad 1.1.0 on 12" mac powerbook under system 10.5.8, attached to large monitor (1920x1200 pixels). Works fairly well, except that if I drag editor window to be longer than around 700 or 800 pixels (about 60 lines of code at courier 12pitch) in one go, the editor regularly crashes. If I enlarge window really slowly, or in several successive drags, it seems to get to full length (around 80 lines of courier 12 code) without crashing and then works ok. I can work around this, and it may reflect a peculiarity of my system, but was wondering if perhaps the editor was not really designed to work reliably with windows over 768 pixels vertical or something. I had the same problem but much worse under system 10.4, to the extent I had to use the regular editor on a Windows machine. The initial part of Apple crash dump shown below. Anyone have similar experience or insight? Thanks.

Process: MacAXEpad [301]
Path: /Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/MacAXEpad
Identifier: ???
Version: (1.1.0.3.271)
Code Type: PPC (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [149]

Interval Since Last Report: 413 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 50 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Date/Time: 2010-08-24 13:18:36.788 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: 8DDF8F69-BA92-4BF1-A392-D9A29241A1A8

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000001c
Crashed Thread: 3

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Thanks for the report. AXEpad should trap all application errors within itself so not sure what is going on there but we'll do our best to investigate. Do you get the same crash if you run MacAXEpad full-screen or does it only crash when dragging and increasing the height ?

fortis

crash seems related to windows full of text stretched larger

Thanks for the speedy reply. The crash does seem to happen only when dragging a small window really large (and it must be a window already filled with text - see below). I can drag a text filled window larger, down the screen for perhaps 600-700 pixels vertical, then the window ‘frame’ starts to stutter, and then the spinning colour wheel appears for a while, then the editor crashes. I don’t see an editor menu setting for ‘Full Screen’ mode, but if I open a new blank window, I can drag it as large as I want as quickly as I want without a crash. I can also open a file that was last edited in a large, screen height window (perhaps 1100 pixels) full of text; the file opens quickly at the same large window size (full of text) last edited, and I can go back to editing without problem. The crash seems to depend on stretching a window with a lot of text in it, too large, too quickly. Perhaps it is a window refresh buffer issue, or perhaps my Mac (1.33 GHz Powerbook, PowerPC G4, 768 MB ram) is not powerful enough to refresh a large expanding window’s content as fast as the editor’s window handling routines expect. Apart from this quirk, Mac Axepad works well, and support for multiple platforms is yet another reason why picaxe has an edge over related development systems.